You can type here any text you want

Finally, 04 Cobra kill.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

cool 84

Got hotair?
I haven't driven my POS for a while because I've been disgusted with it. I took it out last night for the first time in a couple weeks to chase down an overboost problem. I'm running 100LL but it detonates over 16psi, something I've learned to live with. I was easing into the throttle and passed a Mustang without really paying attention. Next thing I know he comes past me at WOT. I start slowing for a light, there's two guys in it grinning. The driver asked me how my car was running and I told him it was a POS. The light goes green, he hits it from ~30mph. I do the same and packpedal to about 3/4 when the boost hits to keep it around 15psi. He got 2 cars instantly before I hit boost which worried me a little. What surprised me is I caught him and passed him like he was standing still. Right as I went past he got a little third gear chirp. I hit the brakes right after I drove by and he nailed them and flipped an illegal U turn and disappeared. I don't think he knew what my car was by his initial reaction. It's too bad he took off, I wanted to BS a little and look at his car since that was my first supercharged Cobra race.

great kill, those blown cobras can be darn quick. imagine what you could do with the car running like a top. do you know if it's a fuel quantity or spark related knock?

Nice kill. Get that KR tracked down. With that turbo and those heads, I bet you are moving quite a bit of air evan at 16#s.

buickpower said:
great kill, those blown cobras can be darn quick. imagine what you could do with the car running like a top. do you know if it's a fuel quantity or spark related knock?

Hell yea those things can be darn quick. Ran into an 04 SVT on the highway once and he gave me a good run.

I wish I could get the KR problem tracked down but I've given up. If I drive it easy around town I can get as high as 16psi on AV gas. If I take it down the freeway for an hour, it detonates worse than I've ever heard one of these cars detonate at 0 boost. It's not fuel related. It literally detonates at steady state cruise even on AV gas after a freeway drive. Oil pressure is falling off probably from hours of detonation, so I only take it out to look for trouble now.

You might want to play with the cam sensor timing, sounds almost like a fuel delivery problem. Are you noticing the detonation when your tank is getting low on fuel? As these cars get older the gas tanks get rust in them and get plugged in the fuel screen. Check the injector harness by the EGR valve,they get melted with heat. Hope you can track it down.

Cool,

I remember reading somewhere that aviation fuel is different and not designed or suited for automobiles. Not sure what it was anymore but I do remember logging it in my limited memory bank to "never use aviation fuel".

Also did a search but could not locate anything. You may want to review the fuel you use and/or a post regarding aviation fuel.

I might try adjusting the cam sensor. I've replaced the cap with no success. I have a new fuelpump, injectors, injector harness, filter, and billet regulator so fuel is covered. The detonation is so bad, I scared an old guy when I hit 1psi next to him. I've covered everything I can think of besides the 21 year old original coil pack and module. I've run on av gas for years and I could get about 4 more psi over 100 unleaded. I've tried C-14 and the car still detonates at 2psi if I run it down the freeway for a while. It blows a ton of black and sometimes oil smoke out when it happens. I've tried everything like checking the intercooler pipes for oil, changed chip, ecms, every sensor on the car, grounds, etc with no success. I've pretty much condemned this motor but I need to find the problem before I build another one. If I could get it to run a few more pounds of boost, I'm going to spank a local Viper again.

Better get that taken care of, you'll be really pissed at your car when you pound the bearing out.

were your runs made at famoso? I just went for my first time ever last friday, good times. I saw one gn and he ran like a 14.86...I was a little disappointed, but the conditions weren't fantastic. I only ran a 14.00.

My runs were at Famoso but the last run I made was 4 years ago. The GNs have pretty much faded away. There are a few of us in Bako including my dad's stageII car but no one races anymore. I was actually going to try the new motor a month ago at Famoso, but my mother smashed my car and I doubt the track officials would let me run with the way the car looks now.

from your description it sounds more like your lifting the heads instead of detinating

not good with gn1's as it'll blow groves in the surface of the head

climb under the car and look at the bottom of the heads hanging over the block and see if there is carbon trails

Back