Finally, My 1964 Max Wedge...

C

coach

Hey Guys,
Since I have joined the sight a few years back, many have asked to see pics of my Max Wedge car. It has been stored and a new engine being built. Well here it is and new engine is done...FINALLY. Its a 1964 Dodge 440 hardtop with a 452 Max Wedge. Pushbutton 727 tranny and 4.10:1 SureGrip rearend. The new motor makes about 530 flywheel HP. I will post more as the engine is installed.

:biggrin:

Attachments

• DODGE 1.jpg
    DODGE 1.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 676
  • DODGE 2.jpg
    DODGE 2.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 659
  • DODGE 3.jpg
    DODGE 3.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 634
  • DODGE 4.jpg
    DODGE 4.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 670
Very Cool. My brother had one like that in those years. Always thought the push button trans was something else. Nice project.

Kick Azz. I love it. That will be a screamer. That thing looks real clean. keep posting pics.

What do ya call that 6 on the dash.....:cool:

Car will be very cool. Looks good Coach. Nice little collection you have going.

hello people; That's going to be quite a ride and a true blast from the hotrod past. I do have a story where a friend and I rent a van with a few hundred dollars in our pockets and take a ride to the Carlisle swap meet expecting to find all kinds of stuff for our Oldsmobiles We found almost nothing but we met a group of guys and they asked what we where looking for, we told them. So we asked the same and they all answered Wedge. At the time I did'nt know what they where talking about but now I do. Must be a real hunt finding that stuff.
goodluck
IBBY

Not really a project. I have owned it since 1993. The 426 engine I had got tired after 15 seasons. Tore it down 2 years ago to redo and it has just taken a little longer than expected. Needed a crank and bored from .030 to .040. As for the shape of the car, it is ALL ORIGINAL. Paint, interior, and chassis. Outside was touched up in 1994, but most of the paint is from 1964. Seat was fixed and new carpet in 1998. I will post more as we get it done. This car won BEST MOPAR at the Street Machine Nationals East in Hamburg, N.Y. 2 years in a row. 1998-1999. My dad won Best Mopar with it at 14 straight cruise-ins in one summer. It was his until his stroke 10 years ago. It was put in my name, but he still fries the tires.

hello people; Coach I see you also has a Biscayne. I have a friend who back in the day had a 2 door and he put a 427 vette motor in it. It had no power steering and I only got to ride in it a few times. But I luved that big block idle and it went real good. Oh yea and a four speed trans. It's funny I did'nt know that there was a Biscayne that came out of the factory with a 427. I guess there hard to find. Such a big car. And wasn't there a guy racing one who had Bisquick written on the side of it?
IBBY

hello people; Coach I see you also has a Biscayne. I have a friend who back in the day had a 2 door and he put a 427 vette motor in it. It had no power steering and I only got to ride in it a few times. But I luved that big block idle and it went real good. Oh yea and a four speed trans. It's funny I did'nt know that there was a Biscayne that came out of the factory with a 427. I guess there hard to find. Such a big car. And wasn't there a guy racing one who had Bisquick written on the side of it?
IBBY

Quick history lesson. No 427 in 62, but the Z-11 427 in 63. It was still a W-series engine like the 348/409, but was stroked. The Z-11 was the 2nd highest rated HP engine GM made at 430 HP, next to the LS-6 454 that came rated at 450HP in 1970.The 427 "Rat" motor came out in 66. As for the BIG car, my 62 Biscayne weighs about 400lbs less then my Grand National. The Impala's and Belair's weighed more, but the Biscayne was the cheapest of the cheap.

hello people; I don't know what it weighed but it is a big car.
IBBY

Very cool Mopar Coach! Doing a great job, the engine bay looks great!:eek:

Except for the new brake lines on the line-loc, it is all original. I hope to drop the engine in on Monday. Ill post more.

my cousin had a max wedge 64 belvedere back in 87. Made alot of money with that car on the streets of orlando.

Engine in, starting tomorrow. waiting on rocker shafts and push rods. The Sun tach is original from 1964. New threads are MT ET Streets on widened factory wheels. Wow what alot of work. I tore this down almost 3 years ago and could not remember where half the detail items were. It has taken 2 weeks to find it all.

Hope you guys like it.
Coach:biggrin:

Attachments

• MAX1.jpg
    MAX1.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 400
  • MAX2.jpg
    MAX2.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 409
  • MAX3.jpg
    MAX3.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 398
  • MAX4.jpg
    MAX4.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 402
  • MAX5.jpg
    MAX5.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 394
Coach, I think we are brothers! My first street machine, 65 Coronet 500! Black on black, 440, manual valve body, 430 gears. I had 17k in it when I was done, that was in 1991. I truly miss that car. Oh, please upgrade that master-cylinder! I had the scariest ride of my life when I lost a wheel cylinder and all the fluid ran out of that single reservoir! :eek:

Damn header leak, but other then that she is good to go.I'll post finished shots tomorrow. We called it a day to get ready for the football game tonight.