Help my granny wake up

usmcwaterrescue

Hello Everyone!!
I just got a 87 G/N. I know nothing about 3.8L or turbo's. I own a 68 charger with a 426 Max Wedge. I know my 750 doubble pumpers and my big blocks but when it comes to ECM's Turbos and EFI I out in space:confused: . I was having some problems with a engine light so i replaced the TPS, IAC, CTS, O2,
I'm still getting a lean code. I took it to my friend thats a professional Mec he looked for vac leaks and didn't find any. He told me to get a new computer cause we noticed the one in the car looked like it came from a junk yard. It had 87 grand nash it yellow ritten on the back. I took the car to the track and was running mid 15's:( . I think the car is all bone stock. Can anyone help me with things I should start with to make my granny wake up. Like ECM chips, ECM's Injectors turbo's. I wanna spend a few dollars on her but not alot till I pay for my 11k dollar 440 stroker in my charger.

Thanks
Wayne

What is your budget? Seriously, a low 13 second/high 12 second car will feel as fast or faster than any production car you can own nowadays. It doesn't take much to get low 13s but it's not free. The point is Turbo Regals when improperly tuned can blow headgaskets or worse quite easily. You will need basics but not a ton to start with. You will need a Walbro 340 fuel pump, a hot wire kit, a boost gauge, a knock gauge, adjustable wastegate, an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and a good tuneup. Here is why: Knock will hurt your engine; you have to know what is going on and these items will tell you the basics + give you a bit of insurance. What I just described is about $300-$400. Is that in your budget? Oh yeah, you don't need a new computer.

Frank listed the gnttype forums (which you should join).... but for pure brain submersion.... go to their website and click on 'resources'.
Turbo Regal Web Site
Start with the 'Spring Cleaning' and then delve into the 'technical articles'...
Have fun.... and welcome!!

From you're post, it appears your ecm is FINE.... You stated that your getting a 'lean' code?? That would be code 44.... Read here for possible causes,
Malfunction Codes Reference
and look to upgrade your fuel system with a Walbro 340 pump and Hotwire kit, as the very first thing, if it hasn't already been done .... The factory unit was barely adequate when new.....

You will need a Walbro 340 fuel pump, a hot wire kit, a boost gauge, a knock gauge, adjustable wastegate, an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and a good tuneup.

Oh yeah, you don't need a new computer.

10-4! Although with the scan tool that you also NEED, a knock gage is optional. Here's a comparison chart...
Scan Tool Comparison Chart
add to that list 'Powerlogger'... which is essentially like Direct Scan, but in a pretty Windows platform with more available recording time...