Help with on3 vbands/ clamps?

pmhip

Ok so here I am trying to get rid of on3 turbo kit leaks of course.....

kit is leaking like crazy, was leaking from all 3 v band connections.

I took all 3 off, put a good bead of rtv on em, let em sit, cure, w/e, tightened down the clamps in stages, finally started it up and it was pretty solid, no leaks or very minimal leaking.

I took it out, car felt better than it had ever felt and by the time I got home it was leaking like crazy again.

My v band clamps are bottoming out before they seem to actually pull the things in tight.

So my question is when everyone says replace v bands, are they saying replace the whole v band assembly, as in weld new connections on or would I be ok with just buying better v band clamps?

Ok so here I am trying to get rid of on3 turbo kit leaks of course.....

kit is leaking like crazy, was leaking from all 3 v band connections.

I took all 3 off, put a good bead of rtv on em, let em sit, cure, w/e, tightened down the clamps in stages, finally started it up and it was pretty solid, no leaks or very minimal leaking.

I took it out, car felt better than it had ever felt and by the time I got home it was leaking like crazy again.

My v band clamps are bottoming out before they seem to actually pull the things in tight.

So my question is when everyone says replace v bands butt clamps, are they saying replace the whole v band assembly, as in weld new connections on or would I be ok with just buying better v band clamps?
thanks for any help and input

A couple of possibilities.
1. When welded on, the v band was not assembled and tight, and warped the flanges.
2. Cheapo flanges used to begin with. Past history with that company can be seen with a google.
3 Pipes are in a bind and when hot and bounced around, won't hold seal.
4. A mismatch between the flanges and the clamp.
When using them, I always either do a small offset on the pipes to create an overlap at the mating surface or use hi Q flanges with seal rings machined into them.
There are gaskets made to try to seal up such issues. Not sure if you can use them on yours.

These guys have hi Q stuff.

Repair gaskets.