Finding Header Cracks

mtbraun

Any tips and tricks for finding header cracks? I've had my driver's side header welded a couple times now and am still hearing a "tick" when the car is in drive under load. I'm convinced it is an exhaust leak. I can also hear a puff when starting the car and it sounds like it is coming from the header. My crossover appears to be sealing well. I'm using a Felpro gasket.

I think there's a header crack I'm missing.

I have never done this, but heard of this trick. If the rest of your exhaust is tight, tape a shop vac set on blow in your tail pipe and seal it up. Go to the headers and spray them down with water.

Seafoam it, with someone holding a wad of rags in the tailpipe. The back psi will cause smoke to seep out of the cracks.

Seafoam it, with someone holding a wad of rags in the tailpipe. The back psi will cause smoke to seep out of the cracks.

Ok I still need more explanation. Dump seafoam in where? does the engine need to be at normal operating temp? I'm assuming this doesnt' hurt anything?

Get a long piece of hose. 3/8 or 1/2 will do. Put one end to your ear and use the other end to scan the headers with engine running. You'll find it. ;)

I found mine by removing the crossover pipe and shining a flashlight from the top while underneath the car looking up into the header through the open pipe. Mine was pretty easy to see with all the light coming through.

Ok I still need more explanation. Dump seafoam in where? does the engine need to be at normal operating temp? I'm assuming this doesnt' hurt anything?
just read the instructions on the can... you inject while the car is running through a vacuum hose.... slowly so that the car doesn't stall.... while it cleans out the carbon it produce [lots of] white smoke which will leak through all the crevices where there are leaks...

aaron

when you have them off the car, ( your going to repair them anyhow)
I use a oxy /acet torch and put it inside the tubes , pointing toward potential leaks,
any leaks will show up quickly.
do it again after repair, to be sure it fixed.

just read the instructions on the can... you inject while the car is running through a vacuum hose.... slowly so that the car doesn't stall.... while it cleans out the carbon it produce [lots of] white smoke which will leak through all the crevices where there are leaks...
aaron

Wait till you breath a bunch of this stuff................................:eek:
SHOCKED.gif

I just went through this same problem on Tuesday and I see that you have the same exhaust system as me so it should work. I wasn't too succesful finding leaks with the car running, plus it seemed to leak more when cold so here's what I did. Take two aerosol spray can caps, they're the perfect size for the tailpipes. Shove one up a tailpipe and drill a 1/2 inch hole in the center of the other. Either push an old tire valve stem or an air hose nipple into the hole. I have a compressor so I used the nipple. Either will be a nice snug fit in the plastic cap. Shove that one into the other tailpipe and hook up your air supply. Crank your regulator down so it's only about 15 psi and hook it up to your valve stem/nipple. Grab a spray bottle and fill it with water and dish detergent. Start spraying all around your headers, crosspipe, turbo, etc. I found leaks around my passenger side header where it meets the turbo almost immediately. As soon as the soapy water hits your leak it will look like a little kid is blowing bubbles. The best part about this method is you don't have to worry about getting burned on a hot exhaust. Good luck.

While your doing all this don't forget to rub your stomach with your left hand and tap the top of your head with the right.o_O

2X for TurboBuRick's suggestion to use a hose. I like a piece of 5/8 heater hose. You can hear exactly where the leak is coming from. I have used every method described to find header leaks for over 40 years, and you can't find the leak any easier than using a piece of heater hose to listen for it. You may need to get someone to put it in drive and put a load on the engine if it's a slight leak.

While your doing all this don't forget to rub your stomach with your left hand and tap the top of your head with the right.o_O

Dang this is getting complicated. Hopefully this whole exercise isn't completed by simultaneously walking and chewing gum. :)

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'll try the easiest method first with the hose. In the meantime yesterday I found someone with a smoke machine. I might do that also to validate my findings with the hose method.

I have never done this, but heard of this trick. If the rest of your exhaust is tight, tape a shop vac set on blow in your tail pipe and seal it up. Go to the headers and spray them down with water.

This works. Use a leaf blower or anything that can move some decent volume of air. You will find the leaks easily, no hot parts to make it dificult.