First confirmed kill - Dodge Charger Hemi R/T

Meanchicken - I'm relatively new to the TB cars and I have a basically stock 87 GN. Couple questions - can you really go to race fuel and see a performance increase from that alone? Is race fuel available in unleaded?

Like I said, I'm new and have much to learn!

I do greatly enjoy reading kill stories - hope to someday have some of my own.

Doug

What meanchicken said.

As far as unleaded race fuel - in my area, there are suppliers that have no-lead in 87, 93, 100, and 104. Not seen anything higher than that except for leaded.

Check around your area to see what your suppliers have. Different states may have different laws about the use of leaded fuels, but you don't want to run high concentrations of leaded thru your GN or your O2 sensor can get ruined.

I've heard from some of the guys that they mix a little super-high octane leaded with 100 or 104 no-lead to get a boost in their octane level so they can run more boost.

Running some higher octane MAY HELP in your KR issue that I saw you had. I might get smacked down on this, but if you run higher octane fuel and your KR decreases, the source of your KR is probably fueling (pump and hotwire)

What meanchicken said.

As far as unleaded race fuel - in my area, there are suppliers that have no-lead in 87, 93, 100, and 104. Not seen anything higher than that except for leaded.

Check around your area to see what your suppliers have. Different states may have different laws about the use of leaded fuels, but you don't want to run high concentrations of leaded thru your GN or your O2 sensor can get ruined.

I've heard from some of the guys that they mix a little super-high octane leaded with 100 or 104 no-lead to get a boost in their octane level so they can run more boost.

Running some higher octane MAY HELP in your KR issue that I saw you had. I might get smacked down on this, but if you run higher octane fuel and your KR decreases, the source of your KR is probably fueling (pump and hotwire)

I guess what I'm wondering is will the computer automatically run as much timing as the fuel allows or do I need to get an aftermarket chip to do this?

If I put in some higher octane fuel and my timing retard issue goes away - does that mean I can ease up the boost??

I need to get on the hotwire/fuel pump issue. My fuel pressure gauge came in today so I will be able to see where I am starting from.

Dan - you and I are starting out with very similar cars low mods and similar miles - we will probably be able to compare notes!:D

I guess what I'm wondering is will the computer automatically run as much timing as the fuel allows or do I need to get an aftermarket chip to do this?

If I put in some higher octane fuel and my timing retard issue goes away - does that mean I can ease up the boost??

I need to get on the hotwire/fuel pump issue. My fuel pressure gauge came in today so I will be able to see where I am starting from.

Dan - you and I are starting out with very similar cars low mods and similar miles - we will probably be able to compare notes!:D

So you're starting from scratch.:D
Yes you need an aftermarket chip to make the timing and fuel adjustments...get a chip from TurboTweak.

Also get a ScanMaster if you don't have one already....and preferred....get a DirectScan or Powerlogger on there so you can make intelligent, data driven adjustments to your tune.

Don't up your boost until you know you have a properly functioning fuel system (good pump, hotwired, new filter, right sized good injectors for the boost levels you plan to run...and verified accurate fuel pressure under WOT boost conditions), and have verified there are no old, leaky or loose vacuum lines (do the full spring cleaning The Grand National / T-Type / Turbo Regal Buick Spring Cleaning Guide )....and have accurate boost and fuel pressure gages to base your adjustments on.

Also before up-ing the boost...strongly recommend an Alkycontrol set up unless you have ready access to unleaded 93 octane or above.

So you're starting from scratch.:D
Yes you need an aftermarket chip to make the timing and fuel adjustments...get a chip from TurboTweak.

Also get a ScanMaster if you don't have one already....and preferred....get a DirectScan or Powerlogger on there so you can make intelligent, data driven adjustments to your tune.

Don't up your boost until you know you have a properly functioning fuel system (good pump, hotwired, new filter, right sized good injectors for the boost levels you plan to run...and verified accurate fuel pressure under WOT boost conditions), and have verified there are no old, leaky or loose vacuum lines (do the full spring cleaning The Grand National / T-Type / Turbo Regal Buick Spring Cleaning Guide )....and have accurate boost and fuel pressure gages to base your adjustments on.

Also before up-ing the boost...strongly recommend an Alkycontrol set up unless you have ready access to unleaded 93 octane or above.

Is there someone I can call and talk to where they can hear what I have and recommend basically a list of Items that will work together to accomplish my goal? Someone or company that specializes and knows these cars specifically? I am afraid that through my ignorance I would not necessarily know what items to get that will work together. I have a scanmaster but only limited knowledge of what it is actually telling me.

Dan (87-WE2) and I are looking for similar information but I know this is his thread and I don't want to stray from his original questions.

Got times Friday, 7-1-11

I have a thread in the time slips section with all my times and slips from Friday.
Fastest run was 13.452 i think.
That means I prolly would have been sucking camaro exhaust if he had shown up. car and driver had a 2010 L99 (the one with the auto) that they ran 13 flat in a 1/4.

oh well. SM, injectors, chip, and boost gauge coming soon.

U-turned back. Parked in the garage. The only thing I had to say to her on the way back up to the office was "Do I have a tail-light out?" She clearly didn't have a clue and said "no I didn't see anything. They all seem to be working OK!!".

I LOL'd at this...:D
+1 that was priceless, she still in shock!:biggrin: She will go home to night, and read about the dark side! Then ask her hubby what happen, and he will school her.

this is a great story... wow great kill man.. long live the mighty grand national.

Go to a sign shop and have a 2 inch white sticker made for your rear window, across the top:

...Heeeere, hemi hemi....

I saw that on a Camaro, had a good laugh.

And, after the race, keep it in good spirits: Nice race, but you're gonna need a bigger Hemi"