First time at the track in 4 days!!!!!

KrisR

I'm psyched.

First time with this car at a dragstrip, on Saturday (Rock Falls Raceway, WI). I've ran a lot of cars there, but nothing that ever broke into the 13s (motorcycles not included).

I'm guessing low-13s (traction is good with my G60-15 McCrearys) at 104-105mph. If I break into the 12s, I'll learn how to do a backflip...;)

Mods: Bluetops, Hotwired Walbro 340, TH 3" DP with dump/test pipe, Hooker exh, AFPR/gauge, adjustable wastegate rod, K&N intake setup, Centerline Telstar wheels (15x6/15x8), Turbo Tweak 93 chip, 2500-stall D5 converter, rebuilt trans w/shiftkit, just-rebuilt posi. Car hooks and goes good.

Boost will be set at 18psi initially (110 leaded in the tank). I'll take off the dump plate when I get there.

MAYBEEE I'll get into the 12s? Sound possible? I G-Teched the car with 92 in the tank and 15-16psi and through the exhaust it ran 13.4-13.5 at 106-107mph...........

Kris

With less mods then that, and plain old radials I ran 13.07@104...I ran more boost and timing though, 20 PSI, and an old dynotech race chip (not sure of the timing, someone told me they thought it was about 28*)

Only problem with breaking into the 12's is you won't be happy again until you hit the 11's and so on and so forth.:D

Read the launch techniques on this site.
Don't get intent on racing (at first) if you want to get some good ets.
Build up the boost at your pleasure then let it rip.

I probably give GN's a bad name. Somtimes the car in the other lane is 1/2 down the strip before I leave.

I raced a mustang once and the guy came over after the race and said "I did not think I could out run a GN."
I guess he did not look at the time slip!

If it's your first time, Here a few suggestions (I was a track newby last year)

*DON'T worry about the tree (cutting a light/reaction time). Wait until it turns green, let the other guy go and then worry about leaving. It will give you one less thing to worry/think about. (your mind will be overloaded with excitment!). Your ET has nothing to do with your reaction to the tree.

*make your first run an easy run so you can learn the track. Just enjoy the drive and observe (where the water box is, how to stage the lights, where the 1/8 or 1/4 ends, where's the turn off, where's the timing shack etc...)

*All my first runs/launches were made from an idle...I wanted to tune the car and make runs as consistant as possible. Only way to make sure the runs were consistant (for accurate assesment of tuning) was to leave from an idle.

*DO NOT be afraid to ask questions (especially at the staging lanes/starting line) Everyone there was a beginner at one time and will teach you what you need to know. If you don't know how/why/when/where - ask, people will be happy to help/advise.

*allow cool down time.

* Have fun and prepare for the addiction :cool:

Now it's time to analyze my best-run timeslip...........

60'.........1.871
330'.......5.315
1/8........8.195
(MPH)....85.53
1000'.....10.694
1/4.........12.807
(MPH).....106.26

This run was with boost set at 20psi, 16psi in the rear tires, open exhaust dump, and locked converter in 2nd and 3rd. 110 octane fuel.

Best run without the converter locked (but with exhaust dump open) was 13.026 at 104.15, with a 1.934 60'

Runs made through the full exhaust and without the converter locked (basically street trim with good gas) were in the 13.2-13.3 range at 102-103mph.

Sound decent? EDIT: Forgot to mention - my chip is 20*/18*.

Not bad at all - it'll get better as you learn to tune 7 drive the car.

Between my first trip to the track and my last trip, I managed to cut the 1/8th mile time by 1.5 seconds...

it only gets better from here!