First time pulling engine progress

BOP4ever

Last July I blew a headgasket well I am finally getting around to it...
Gosh these things have a ton of wires and little brackets and stuff!!
I too a bunch of pictures hoping I can get everything back in place snd hooked up right!
I think it's close to being ready to come out .
I left one bolt in the trans but the starter, converter, motor mount bolt is out on both side . Ac and alternator brackets off, down pipe loose, coil pack off, all cables loose from throttle body and all the plugs in hooked on the front drivers side etc... Stll looks like a bolt is holding the big loop that runs gown the valve cover and back under the coil pack. There was one round plug I pulled back the was under the turbo that I don't remember unplugging ... Could this have been for a old pressure switch since the car has had an oil pressure gauge added before I got it. I assumed the correct way to take the mount loose was the long through bolt like on my old Pontiac... I post a link to pictures later.

The ground wires on the back of the passenger head, the knock sensor on the block under the coil pack, the ground cable on the front passenger side head too.

Having Photobucket issues.... Anyway.... I think it is all loose...
Got the hoses and the knock sensor etc.... Now where is the best place to hook up the hoist ?
I see the hook on the front behind the turbo. I have one of these engine leveler deals I got for Christmas it has four chains and L brackets for a four point hook up... I don't see a easy way to hook up to four points that are anywhere close to level...
Sometimes it is the simple things I struggle with and rigging has always scared me when lifting something heavy.
Planning to yank it out this weekend.

Thanks for the tips.
Oh the little locking tab on the injector harness snapped off.... should I be concerned about it coming loose in service ? Can I tie wrap it or do I need a new harness ? Figure it was heat damage that made the tab brittle. Otherwise it looks good.

Zip ties to keep the injector harness together. Use the 4 intake manifold corner bolts. Get some a tad longer than the factory bolts. If pulling without the trans, use a jack to support it and make sure you've got the converter loose and away from the flexplate.

I put a strap under the doghouse. Fair warning though it makes it a little front heavy.

Finally Got the sucker out... man there is a sadist that designed the harness on this engine how many freaking grounds does a car need !!!!
Had the translines hang up did not catch the clip on the pan so they got bent a little....
Some pictures of the carnage.... engine compartment needs a good cleaning...
http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/...head gasket/?action=view&current=d156858e.pbw

Gotta pick up some bolts for my engine stand tomorrow and I;ll be ready to start tearing it down... Man these things have a lot of little clips and stuff....scared I'll forget or loose something. I have been trying to keep everything bagged and tagged and took a bunch of before pictures... Hopefully I can figure it out.

One tip on the rear head ground and also the starter wires:

When taking it out, leave these on until you start to lift the engine up. Be very careful but I get the engine up about a foot or more, then I tackle the starter wires and back of head grounds. Same thing when you put it back in. Alot easier to access with the motor up.

Starter doesn't need to come off..

When installing the engine, do NOT use the factory head grounds on the back of the passenger side head. Instead, cut the harness tape a little, and pull some slack out of the harness and use the boss under the coil pack (it uses a 10mm socket to hold the rectangular wire loom.) I add a stud there AFTER I file all the thick paint off the top of the boss. I then add a 10 gauge wire from the boss to the front lower turbo mounting bracket that the ground cable hooks to. I also add a 10 gauge ground to the bottom of the coil pack mount. You CAN'T have too many ground paths. Leave the cross over pipe off when installing the engine. The trans cooler lines route under the cross over tube.

I got the heads off and the timing cover so far other than the blown head gasket on number 4 the engine looks great cross hatch visible stock nylon timing gear looks like new no gunk anywhere !
I need to order gaskets now. Full throttle speed has a nice price on a set for about 90 bucks. Anyone use them?
What about inspecting the mains should I ? What are the pit falls and torque specs if I do ?

i dont know but i think i read somewhere that the head bolts need to be replaced unless they are aftermarkets already ....just a thought...:cool:

Yea always buy new head bolts and you will have no problem if you use stock head gaskets--buick paid engineers alot of money to design them right