Fix elect. window?

#1HotRod

Passenger side elect. window sometimes stays in down position,
won't go up using master or passenger side switch. After few hours or days of many tries will suddenly work again for several weeks. Because neither switch works makes me think is the motor. Any past experience out there, is it motor or switch, how to test, & are either a bit_ _ to fix? If replacing the motor, is an aftermarket better...If so, where to get one? Both windows go up/down slow to begin with.

Much easier to replace the switches. Not only that, I think it is one switch or the other. Suddenly works, after not working, means the motor isn't getting power. A lot of times the windows are ultra slow because of bad switches.

Window Motors

I read an article several years ago about replacing the window motors from another car. Knowing I would someday have to replace a motor or two, I saved the article. I will copy and paste it here:

Basically, you use the motors/regulators out of an early (78/79) A body (Regal, Malibu/El Camino, Monte, etc). An easy way to ID the 78/79 Regal is that they have single headlights. These motors are overkill to say the least, so there's not much worry about getting stuck with a tired one. They also have counter sprung regulators (the '87 didn't) that really get the windows screamin'. Before you run out to the local boneyard, be prepared. You need to use a cold chisel to cut 5 aluminum rivets that secure the motors to the inner door skin. It took me about 15 minutes per side to remove them "in the field" :cool:. The trick is to remove a small 6" track in the middle of the door first. Then, after you cut the rivets, the whole assembly can be maneuvered out of an access hole. You'll also need the short harness that runs from the kick panel to the switch/motor. The harness that runs across the dash is common - so you won't need that. I noticed that the '87 windows use a flip/flop type of switching on the motor (one line goes to ground - the other to 12V, then flips for the other direction). The early version just supplies 12V to one of two wires and gets the ground from the chassis.

According to this mod...it will speed up the very slow GN window and cut the up and down time in half.

Thanks guys, guess I'll tear panel off & get to work.
Thanks Nascar for your pulling up & posting motor info.

This post about the 78-79 motors is baloney. Not only will you not be able to find this twice as heavy motor in anything but deplorable condition, but the swap does nothing. I know, I did it almost 10 years ago. Did nothing.

As I said, it's probably your buttons. Not much of a job.

I agree with the bad button theory,,, i just went through this on my Limited a few weeks ago. The passenger side barely worked, and the drivers side was pretty slow.
After 2 new door panel switches, both windows zip up and down like they're,,,, turbocharged. :D

WINDOWS

This window problem fix I posted was from a Grand National publication on a website. It might have been this one, I can't remember now, but when my car was new...the windows were slow. I have an 88 LeSabre T-Type also and them windows and slow too. I have replaced the buttons before and didn't see any real increase in speed. As for the solution I posted, I have not tried it yet, but I will. I know of a few guys who did and the windows were really fast.

John, maybe you bought a bad window motor? 1970's parts are getting hard to find and in bad shape but I believe a good electrical shop could re-build them...I don't know.

If I can find the link to that site, I will post it. I don't want anyone to think I just made this up because I know how crappy of a job it is to change out the motors.

I didn't want to address this but this link has been around a long time. I read it. I tried it. Didn't work for me. Probably the only person who did this swap, was the guy who wrote the original link. Rather than the idea that the motor I found 10 years ago was bad, maybe it's just a bad idea......especially in 2005. ;)

A new, stock window motor for our cars costs less than $50 at AutoZone. I've seen these AZ motors installed, and the windows work pretty fast. These motors mentioned in the link from 70s models are old, very heavy, and practically non-existant, and if you were "unfortunate" enough to find one, are by no means guaranteed to make your windows "fast". I know you meant to be helpful, however, the other side of the coin is as I've explained. Been there, done that, don't work. :D