You can type here any text you want

Flat Cam ???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

chadly

How flat does a cam need to be before you would notice it? I’ve never dealt with a flat cam but while tearing down a motor today I found what appears to be a flat cam. Would this be a strong no ticks no knocks motor? I’ve never heard this motor run, I just got the long block.
Thanks Chad

Attachments

• cam 1.JPG
    cam 1.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 304
  • cam2.JPG
    cam2.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 300
  • cam 3.JPG
    cam 3.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 316
I'm no pro but i went through this before. That lobe is definitely wasted.

Depending how long in ran like that i would check all the engine bearings, the oil pump gears and the turbo for play as the loose metal can and will damage all of these.

Do not reuse the radiator for engine oil cooling again because metal can get trapped in there and no matter how many times you change the oil the metal can release and go through the engine again. get and external oil cooler.

That's about all i can think of right now.

d

Did you just buy it as a good strong motor? I would say it could idle & run well but you would know there was something wrong under hard acceleration.

I bought it some time ago as a good motor, no ticking or knocking. The only issue with the motor was hot at idle the oil pressure would get as low as 15/16 lbs. I planned on rebuilding it with a roller cam so the wiped lobe is not that big of a deal to me. I’m just learning. Here are a couple more pictures that make me question how strong it ran. Either way it will be redone again just learning. I will hopefully pull the crank and rods next weekend.
I buy houses, fix them, and sell them. Every home I’ve ever bought has always had a dry basement per the prior owner. However several homes have got water in them while I owned them. I’m sure motors work the same way.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• head1.JPG
    head1.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 224
Chad thats definately a wiped lobe. I would also say it had a blown headgasket by looking at the combstion chambers. Did you find any water in the cylinders?

It does appear to have a little rust on the cylinder walls. Not bad by any means. I don’t think there is any pitting. I will look more later in the week when I pull the rods and crank out. Here is the other head. This was my first time taking one apart but I was thinking the heads gaskets on both sides must have blown. I don’t know how else the water/rust would have gotten in there. I should have looked closer at the gaskets. On the good side the heads look to have good port job, three billet mains, all apr hardware, and it looks like it has a balanced rotating assembly.

Attachments

• head2.JPG
    head2.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 212
Are you planning to take it to a machine shop? I would suggest at least having it cleaned. If it does have any pitting on the cylinder walls, your going to want to make sure thats cleaned up as well. Also, be sure to have them check the crank. If you need anything, you are welcome to call anytime. I'm laid off again so I have all the time in the world now:(.

That would be a good choice! Let me know if you end up needing any help!

I'd load it all up and have them check everything out. It isn't like they charge for inspection. Well my machine shop doesn't anyway.

BTW, that's one of those new "variable lift" cams.

Back