Flat tappet 212/212

Dave H

I have seen here that some feel the Comp 212/212 flat tappet cam is pretty aggressive for a stock top end 3.8. Comp claims this to be a good factory replacement cam. Any thoughts?

With good heads, 6676 or larger turbo , 3000 stall, and a supporting fuel system and tune its a 130mph cam. Not a good stock replacement unless you have the above imo. A no no with a stock turbo that is out of breath at 4800rpm.

I had that cam with self ported iron heads & a t63e turbo, with 3300 stall it pulled like mad with no lag! Later had that same cam with 1.65's & ported GN-1'S with a 70 p-trim

Being you have a forged stoker motor I sure wouldn’t replace it to go smaller. Think I’d be looking for a bigger turbo and better intercooler to reap the rewards of your investment.

im running a 212/212 with ported heads and a Ta-54. runs great.

I ran 10.30 @ 131mph with Champion irons and a 212/212 flat tappet. Passes smog test with no cat on the car.

Being you have a forged stoker motor I sure wouldn’t replace it to go smaller. Think I’d be looking for a bigger turbo and better intercooler to reap the rewards of your investment.

Thanks for the replies. My thought on going with this cam is:

1) - being that I'm now at 4.1 liters, it can use a bigger cam

and

2) - when I re-coup from the expense of the shortblock and can get the bigger turbo / stall, it will really shine, and not hurt me a great deal before that.

I had planned on the bigger turbo/stall and possibly heads first, but when I ended up having to rebuild the bottom end, I figured I'd go all out (I know, should have went roller...) and get the supporting top end pieces when I can.

Now I just realized that the tranny is starting to slip, so I guess the new turbo will have to wait...

Here's some pics of the short block (Cat forged crank, K1 forged H-beam rods, Diamond pistons, Total Seal rings, RJC girdle, ARP's, JW SFI Flexplate, BHJ SFI balancer, Interally balanced RJC deep oil pan) I also went with ARP head studs and RJC SS gaskets.:

buick4.JPG

buick6.JPG