You can type here any text you want

Flattening wheel bearing dust cover?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BlackMetal

I'm guessing that's what you call it. Anyways I'm still driving around on my new rims with no center caps because on the front wheels, the dome-shaped cover over the wheel bearings sticks out too far through the rim and the center caps can't snap into place. So far I've been told I could try putting a board up against it and pounding it flat. Before I do that I was wondering maybe a parts store would have a flat one that I could swap out?

Just want to make sure I do this as "right" as possible instead of damaging something and having the wheel bearings exposed to the elements.

How much does the wheel bearing cap lack to clear your center caps? If it's just a little bit, you could measure how far your spindle sticks out to see if you have room to flatten the cap enough to clear. Like you said, an auto supply may have replacements that would fit and still be flatter than your stock ones.

Well I can get the teeth of the center cap to touch the rim. If it were to be properly seated all the way in the rim...it would need about a half inch more room to slide back.

Attachments

• centercap.jpg
    centercap.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 211
1/2" would be pushing it. You might be able to flatten it out and get 1/4". I would say your options are using a spacer or maybe get some of those chrome bearing dust caps and leave the center cap off.

Hm...I just ordered stock appearing Power 6 overlays from buickgn.com , I'm gunna have to figure something out.

Remove the dust cap altogether and see if the center cap fits. If not, then no amount of crushing it is going to help. A flat cap isn't going to cause any harm, as long as it stays on, and doesn't pop off your center cap causing you to lose it. How do the wheels look? Hmmm, maybe a spacer would make it look just a little better and allow you to put on the center cap??? Have you tried to contact the wheel manufacturer to see if they have a solution, or to see if they are familiar with the problem?

wagon said:
Remove the dust cap altogether and see if the center cap fits. If not, then no amount of crushing it is going to help. A flat cap isn't going to cause any harm, as long as it stays on, and doesn't pop off your center cap causing you to lose it. How do the wheels look? Hmmm, maybe a spacer would make it look just a little better and allow you to put on the center cap??? Have you tried to contact the wheel manufacturer to see if they have a solution, or to see if they are familiar with the problem?

I'm already running spacers because these wheels aren't meant to fit a GN. I have a 1.5" spacer in front already and they rub on sharp turns, I'd prefer not to space them any further.

I'd ask the manufacturer for advice, but again, these wheels weren't meant for a GN, I don't think they'll have any advice.

I guess I'll go to the parts store this weekend and see if they have any flat caps, but these days it's hard enough to get spark plugs from a parts store, I have a feeling I'll just get a blank stare when I ask.

OR I could cut the hole in the middle of the center cap wide enough that it'll fit around the dust cover, but then I'll need to stick something to the outside of the center cap and bring it back out far enough so that I can still have a surface to stick the overlay to....

the expensive solution would be to get the newer 2wd Blazer or S10 spindles that use the sealed bearings.

http://www.greatoutdoors.com/hubsgreasecapsbearingssealsandaccessories/automotiveatv/dustcaps.html

It would stink to spend $15 worth of gas riding around to find a $2 part but we do it all the time I guess. A trailer store may have one like the link above in different shapes. If that doesn't work, I would buy two new ones, cut one to the minimum height that clears the spindle and tack weld a small piece of sheetmetal over the top then make another to match. That is if you have access to a welder. You can JB Weld the gaps to close it in, then sand it and paint it.

Back