You can type here any text you want

Fluids

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TTA 1077

Going to change the fluids today! what tranny and rear diff oils are you guys using? Also oil filters, the new Mobil 1 filter looks cool but will it do the job? Or is the NAPA still the most used? As far as oil goes I'm still up in the air, Rotella has now changed formulation to meet new standards, but maintains the same protective quality:rolleyes: with so many changing to meet the new standards what are we to do?:confused:

Here is what I use...
Wix oil filter with Rotella 10w-30 and a bottle of STP oil additive.
For the rear end I just use Lubramatic 75w-90 with the little bottle of posi additive. I have tried Amsoil and Mobil 1 and both of them create more noise...
For the tranny I use Dexron Mercon III and a Wix filter. I think I used Citgo brand..Not a big deal just as long as it fits the Dexron Mercon III requirements.

I also change my oil way to often...Probably every 200 miles. It is cheap insurance I think.

Jason

man and i thought i changed my oil alot. it seems like every 1,000 im changing it if not less. another thing i change alot is my fuel filter. probley changed that thing 30 times in the last 5,000 miles. just seems like every time i work on it im like hell my as well change it. cant ever change it to much i say. my 340 has been running strong and i bought it when the 340 just came out was one of the first ones.

Well I got my tag renewal and when I checked the mileage all I drove was 268 miles last year. So really it is not that I change it a lot, it is I drive it very little..

Jason

you and me both. i have had my car for 10 years now and i have only put on 5,000 miles :( i will start driving it more now that its getting a new motor. Nick Micale just rebuilt my tranny and the paint job is finally finished.

Hi,
I have you guys both beat for lack of driving. My 104+K vehicle got a ****ping total of 64 miles put on it last year. I must admit, they were 64 very entertaining miles! Next year will be better, as I have joined the local Buick club, and I think they like the car. Well, I guess they tolerate it, anyway...

Rotella has now changed formulation to meet new standards, but maintains the same protective quality :rolleyes:

What? So they don't have the phosphorous-something for flat-tappet lifters anymore? It's what I had been using on my truck . . . which I was going to change the oil in this last weekend but never got around to it.

I did find Valvoline Racing oil is readily available, and "not for street use" because it has all the good protection properties for flat-tappet lifters. And, I've passed all tough Texas emissions with that oil in the motor :rolleyes:

What? So they don't have the phosphorous-something for flat-tappet lifters anymore? It's what I had been using on my truck . . . which I was going to change the oil in this last weekend but never got around to it.

I did find Valvoline Racing oil is readily available, and "not for street use" because it has all the good protection properties for flat-tappet lifters. And, I've passed all tough Texas emissions with that oil in the motor :rolleyes:

There is a posting already which I particpated in if you scroll down. It also has links to the zinc and phos content of other oils. The Rotella is still excellent and more than enough Zinc and Phosphorous. If you add a bottle of the Red STP additive, it brings it up higher than the original Rotella.
Here is the link http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/219840-15w40-ok-use.html

There is a posting already which I particpated in if you scroll down. It also has links to the zinc and phos content of other oils. The Rotella is still excellent and more than enough Zinc and Phosphorous. If you add a bottle of the Red STP additive, it brings it up higher than the original Rotella.
Here is the link http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/219840-15w40-ok-use.html

Not to argue, but around here the STP bottle is blue...

129320_front200.jpg

stp makes a red and a blue bottle. the blue bottle contains alittle less Zinc and Phosphorous compared to the red bottle.

Not to argue, but around here the STP bottle is blue...

129320_front200.jpg

STP comes in a blue bottle or red bottle. The red has more zinc and phos. If you scroll down about 1/4 down on the page of this link Oils: What oil should I use? Which oil is best for my Porsche or aircooled engine? you will see that the Red has much more zinc and phos than the blue.
I too found that they only carry the Blue in local auto parts store and ordered the Red STP at STP 4 Cylinder Oil Treatment (15 oz.)

Attachments

• stp red.jpg
    stp red.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 118
there sure is alot of Zinc and Phosphorous in those little bottles. so you put your rotella in add a bottle of this stuff and damn you got alot of Zinc and Phosphorous. Can you have to much?>

What is the TTA Wix oil filter part #

I use Royal Purple 10w30 in all my rides.

oil?

I am not an expert by an means. However, one of my techs showed me a old newsletter of Red Armstrong Turbo Regals. He uses Mobil 5w30 SYN. in his Buick engines. However, Quicky One has helped me build my TTA into a monster, so.... Take your pick.

Thanks for the input:cool: I was talking with my local NAPA guy and he was saying that in the last year they have received a lot of bulletins and all of the brands are starting to reduce additives. Starting to get like the mid seventies with the switch from leaded to unleaded gas. He said to use the STP as well. Also stated that Mobil 1 15-50 still has at or near 1000 ppm of zinc and phosphorus,thik he got his info from this Web article Oils: What oil should I use? Which oil is best for my Porsche or aircooled engine?

Back