You can type here any text you want

Foolish newbie mistake, part 1

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

just plain john

El Camino a Go-Go!
Hello all. OK, I made a rookie mistake and could use some guidance. On an 87, where does the wastegate solenoid install? When I removed it I removed the stud as well, which is still attatched to the bracket. Does it attatch to the turbo? I can't remember and didn't have a camera when I took it off. More questions like this are sure to follow as the build continues, stay tuned for parts 2,3, ect.

it goes on the front top pass side valve cover bolt.

Maybe I'm not calling it the correct part. This unit has a large oval 4 pin connector on one end and 2 vaccuum lines out the other. It has a cap that says "filter" on the 4 pin side. The stud That attatches it is too large for the valve cover. The piece you describe is smaller and has no wired connection.

Installs on the back inner Valve cover bolt Driver side, and to the intake manifold

As GS462 said, yep goes on the passenger side valve cover closest to the turbo.

Maybe I'm not calling it the correct part. This unit has a large oval 4 pin connector on one end and 2 vaccuum lines out the other. It has a cap that says "filter" on the 4 pin side. The stud That attatches it is too large for the valve cover. The piece you describe is smaller and has no wired connection.

i think gn84 is right--------this doesn't sound like the boost solenoid----it sounds like he is describing the EGR solenoid that has a larger connector,vaccum lines that go to the EGR and TB----------and attaches to the manifold and valve cover............RC

It is not the passenger side front vavle cover device. Whatever that device is, it mounts to some sort of tab that attatches to the valve cover bolt. The device I'm referring to is larger and like I said is wired to the ECM. As soon as I get the digital camera back I will try to post some pics, but it may be a few days from now.

sounds like the EGR valve solenoid. drver side valve cover towards the firewall.

Correct. I figured that out this morning. Next to last driver intake bolt, inbard rear valve cover bolt. Thanks for all the replies. I'm sure part 2 will follow shortly.

Back