stock wastegate solenoid valve available aftermarket?

Anthony P

sharing knowledge with those who care to listen
part 1997157 or Delco 214-609 for the 86-87 TB's and 89 TTA was discontinued in 2008, I think.

the hot air TB's used part 1997687 or Delco 214-611.

I found that PartsPlace has some NOS 86-87 valves on ebay for $339:eek: seen here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-87-Bui...ash=item3f34dcdeb3:g:q0gAAOSwOyJX7TS7&vxp=mtr

When I bought some in 1993, list was $32.13 and my cost wholesale was $24.10. Like many other things, I should have squirreled away some more.

Has the world of aftermarket suppliers reproduced this yet - Standard Motor Products, etc? I have not found anything yet. It seems odd that the aftermarket has not made this yet.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the only difference between the hot air part and the intercooled part is the size of the hole in the mounting bracket? You'd need a couple of washers when using the hot air part on 86-87 as the valve cover stud is a smaller diameter.

Does anyone know of any aftermarket considerations to reproduce these again?

no need for aftermarket after I found this thread on the other turbo buick forum from 2007. For less than $50 today, it is possible to use a readily available AC Delco 2-port solenoid valve with a Casper's wiring adapter. The bracket mounting for the solenoid valve is 180* opposite from the original but will work. This other thread noted this parts combination worked fine and that was 10 years ago.

Solenoid valve:
AC DELCO 214-1073 {#01997227, 1997227} GM Original Equipment from 94-97 6.5L turbo diesel OR
ACDELCO 214-637 {#01997255, 1997255} GM Original Equipment from 94-2002.

The 214-1073 part looks more like the factory part. Either one from Rock Auto is $30 shipped. See pics and applications here: http://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/acdelco,2141073,turbocharger+wastegate+solenoid,17200

Casper's wiring adapter is part 108167 found here: http://www.casperselectronics.com/c...product_id=633&search=108167&description=true

The complete 2007 thread with all the details can be read here: http://www.turbobuicks.com/forums/buick-v6-turbo-tech/67985-wastegate-solenoid-valve.html

This looks like a great solution rather than having to convert to a manual boost control setup
OR pay $350 for a NOS one
OR try to find one from a hot air car.
PLUS, the delco parts noted above are brandy new for only $30.:D

Last edited:
I've talked with many in the aftermarket world this week. Even though the 86-87 part has been discontinued for more than a decade, there is just no interest to remake one. Just another example of investment cost vs payoff to profitability. A few hundred units (maybe) sold a year is not a worthy investment.

So, we are left with finding a good used one from someone on this board, paying through the nose for a NOS on ebay, or using the delco 214-1073 together with that Casper's wiring adapter. There are a ton of ebay listings for the delco 214-1073, most less than $30 shipped.

Maintaining our TB's is easy when we have the correct tools to do the job and enough information to make a decision regarding the choices at hand.

I would just buy a Mac solenoid and have better control over the factory solenoid.

I can not produce any boost with my vehicle. I don't know if my wastegate solenoid works or not or if the wastegate actuator is even good. This seems like a cheap way to rule it out. Think I may try it.

I can not produce any boost with my vehicle. I don't know if my wastegate solenoid works or not or if the wastegate actuator is even good. This seems like a cheap way to rule it out. Think I may try it.
Just put 12 volts to it and see if it clicks if it does then it’s good and it could be your wiring .

Just put 12 volts to it and see if it clicks if it does then it’s good and it could be your wiring .
Well... it clicks. So that' a plus. Time to break out the schematics and hope my vacuum lines are right.

Well... it clicks. So that' a plus. Time to break out the schematics and hope my vacuum lines are right.

You can put pressure to the wastegate actuator, if it moves you can rule that out as well.
You could also do a suck test to see if the diaphragm is leaking.
Make sure your wastegate puck is not stuck.

You can put pressure to the wastegate actuator, if it moves you can rule that out as well.
You could also do a suck test to see if the diaphragm is leaking.
Make sure your wastegate puck is not stuck.
The wastegate itself has free movement when disconnected from the actuator. The actuator seems excessively stiff from what I remember the one on my evo was. And my evo had a 20lb spring. I' going to break the air compressor out later aND see if the actuator actually moves. I have the 2 port actuator, should I apply air to one over the other or does it matter?

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with the 2 port. I remember reading some on the 2 port where one port held it closed and the other pushed it open. CO2 operation I believe.
I'm not sure which is which, however my guess would bee the one opposite the rod end would be the pressure port that pushes it open.
If you can use a regulator you should be to see at what pressure it opens at.

You can’t build any boost? If you can’t build Boost and your actuator is holding the puck closed that’s not your problem. The puck might not be sealing. Pull the intake off the turbo and check the blades, shaft play. It should spin freely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can’t build any boost? If you can’t build Boost and your actuator is holding the puck closed that’s not your problem. The puck might not be sealing. Pull the intake off the turbo and check the blades, shaft play. It should spin freely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I pulled the turbo off and checked it. All good there. I installed a factory D5 converter last night, it helped a little. Vacuum lines are right. I'm thinking of ordering a manual boost controller. I'm running out of ideas at this point.