? for you camcorder to computer gurus

russgoodman

Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a laptop for xmas that will allow me to transfer my drag racing videos from my camcorder to the computer. Camcorder is DV and I bought a firewire cable for it. I was told that in order to x-fer and edit the video onto the laptop, it must NOT have an integrated video card. I don't really know WTF that means and was wondering if thats just some bs line to get me to spend more $$. I know as many videos that are posted here someone might be able to help me out. I'm currently looking at a dell studio 17 (has an integrated video card), just want to make sure everything will work before I buy it. Thanks...

No integrated video on a laptop? How can that even happen? I would ask for model numbers as to which laptops can be had with that config. If you're just encoding and stuff, you will be fine. The thing with integrated video is that the system uses shared memory. Both video and the OS share the same memory modules. I know of higher end CAD laptops that pushed $1200 just for the video card but, those too were integrated into the motherboard.

Are you going with the ATI card option?

The non-integrated vid for laptops is removable... not part of the motherboard. They also have seperate memory as stated above. Typically, MUCH better video performance.

For encoding it can made a difference but how much I cant say without comparing. The bigger bang for the money still comes from the main processor.

Are you going with the ATI card option?

I don't even know what that means, so I guess not. My main problem is some of the people at those computer stores are absolutely clueless. Some guy last night tried to tell me that NO laptop comes with a firewire port. At that point I just walk away because its obvious that I know more than him.

Actually my wife is in more of a hurry than I am about this. I've been waiting for my parents to get back from Vegas so I can borrow their laptop just to see if I can get this process to work. She's wanting to jump in and buy one, I'd rather wait until I'm sure I can make it work on another laptop.

But basically what you guys are saying is if I go with an integrated card, I should be ok?

I don't even know what that means, so I guess not. My main problem is some of the people at those computer stores are absolutely clueless. Some guy last night tried to tell me that NO laptop comes with a firewire port. At that point I just walk away because its obvious that I know more than him.

Actually my wife is in more of a hurry than I am about this. I've been waiting for my parents to get back from Vegas so I can borrow their laptop just to see if I can get this process to work. She's wanting to jump in and buy one, I'd rather wait until I'm sure I can make it work on another laptop.

But basically what you guys are saying is if I go with an integrated card, I should be ok?

The highest option video card for the Dell you are looking at is the ATI model instead of the more generic Intel option.