You can type here any text you want

Forced to go with 17'' wheels... : (

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

toofastforyou

2FAST4U
It all began when I decided to install a Baer 4 wheel disc brake setup. The new front brakes went in without any issue, but problems began at the rear. Baer's kit did not fit on my original 8.5 rear axle because I have aftermarket axles with c-clip eliminators and their kit wasn't designed for that.:( So I bought a brand new differential onto which I could install Baer rear disc brakes. I asked for a kit with a functional parking brake and that's what they sent me. Now after installing the new differential and rear disc brake kit, it turned out that my 15'' Billet Specialties wheels don't fit anymore!! The caliper rubs inside of them and I have no other choice but to go with some larger diameter wheels! :mad:
My main worries are:
First, I'm very concerned that the 17's will screw up my car's look and ( to me at least), my car won't look good anymore like it did with my 15'' wheels. I've never been a fan of the lowered ''touring'' look. I much prefer some big fat rear tires for a more ''drag racer'' look...but it seems that I have no other choice!!
Second, even though I know that some manufacturers make drag radials and slicks for 17'' wheels, I never saw anyone use them, so I don't know what to buy and what to expect traction-wise. The 17'' tire's sidewall will be lower so that affect traction? I dunno.

Thanks (and sorry for the long post)

Claude.

What about the GTA wheels Claude?
Charlie, I had two sets of GTA's but I sold them two years ago...
Also, I find that there are now too many GN's with them so that's why I went with Billet Specialties ''Street Lites''.

Claude. :)

I understand completely.;) I just don't like the newer wheels they've come out with lately. If someone would come up with a GTA style wheel in 17 I might think about them but 99% of the 17" or larger wheels I just don't like. I guess I'm just a little old fashoned.:D

From what I've seen on the Weld site, some 15" rims have extra clearance for bigger calipers. They "may" have something that would work.

From what I've seen on the Weld site, some 15" rims have extra clearance for bigger calipers. They "may" have something that would work.
I tried several different 15'' wheels from different manufacturers (Billet Specialties, American Racing, even my old Monocoque racing wheels, etc...) and none of them fit. :rolleyes:
I've decided to go with the same style I had before (Billet Specialties ''Street Lites'') but in 17'' for the rear. I'm just wondering how it will look with the 15'' in front!...

Claude. :confused:

go to 17" billet specialties all around with big tires. I have seen plenty of very fast cars on 17" drag radials. Might as well show off those BA brakes that you put on the car anyway!

Might as well show off those BA brakes that you put on the car anyway!
Yeah sure!...:D Here's pic of the front wheels with the Baer disc brakes...

Claude. ;)
Picture003-11.jpg

I'm so jealous. I think that those will look good behind any set of wheels!

you bought a whole new rear end because the Baer brakes wouldn't bolt to the one you had? doesn't Baer sell a bracket for the c clip eliminators?

you bought a whole new rear end because the Baer brakes wouldn't bolt to the one you had? doesn't Baer sell a bracket for the c clip eliminators?
No, Baer doesn't sell anything for c-clip eliminator equipped rear ends (at least, that's what Rick at Baer said). :( Seeing that, we figured that it would be simpler to sell the complete GN's 8.5 and replace it with another model (I chose to go with a Strange Dana ''S 60'') onto which the Baer disc brakes would fit. Another reason why we changed the differential is because Rick also said that they do have a kit for the 8.5'' GN differential using 15'' wheels but there are no provisions for the emergency brake in that particular application. Since I wanted the parking brake to be functional, they sent me another kit with larger diameter rotors but for it to work, I have to use larger (17'') diameter wheels that will clear the calipers.
Now after speaking with several guys, they all said that 17's in the rear and 15''s in the front will look ok which reassures me. (I was concerned that it wouldn't have looked good) I can't wait to see the final result...I hope I will like it!

Claude.

Back