You can type here any text you want

Found a problem (thrust bearings)

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Well after installing a new tranny and torque converter and running it for 300 KM I know have play in and out on the crank.

Motor only has about 500KM total since new bearings were installed. I am thinking the torque converter took out the thrust bearings. A used art carr.

Soooo couple of questions. Since it isn't moving that much like probably 30-40 thou. Can I just throw some new bearings in the there with the engine in the car and unhook the tranny and belt etc. Providing there is no damage?

Will the rod bearings be effectied by this? If I can change the bearings do you think all the main bearings will be shot, or just the thrust bearings.

Thanks guys hoping I caught this in time and haven't killed the engine.

Brandon!

Id pressure test the cooling circuit to verify there is not excess pressure first. Converter is not the likely cause. .040 is 10x the factory spec:eek: . You will need to do a complete teardown to remove all the metal that has gone through the engine. The crank thrust will need to be welded and reground or crank replaced.

Thats just a guess. I put my pry bar in between the exhaust and the flexplate and watched the pulley move a bit. I don't have my dial indicator at work so I couldn't check the exact spec. Engine still runs fine right now?

Any one ever heard of getting away with seeing some movement and changing the bearings?

If you dont have an oil filter in series with your turbo oil feed then the turbo thrust bearing is full of metal from the main.

Took the oil out and oil filter off and there is no sign of any metal in the oil? Oil has a slight green colour to it like the break in lube?

Dropping the pan in the next couple of days when I get some new bearings to try out.

I read up on a couple of people that just changed the bearings and got away with it when catching the problem early.

Will measure the crank end play with a dial indicator tomorrow and see how bad it actually is.

Took the oil out and oil filter off and there is no sign of any metal in the oil? Oil has a slight green colour to it like the break in lube?

Dropping the pan in the next couple of days when I get some new bearings to try out.

I read up on a couple of people that just changed the bearings and got away with it when catching the problem early.

Will measure the crank end play with a dial indicator tomorrow and see how bad it actually is.

The metal had to go somewhere. If theres .040 your into the steel part of the bearing. Ive seen when there was around .010 and the main bearing was replaced but not .040. Good luck with that one. That sucks. Be sure to test converter charge pressure. Very important since the thrust bearing failed.

Funny that the motor doesn't knock untill it is under 15psi but than it goes to the red and the scan tool pics it up. In 2nd gear.

Will measure in the morning and post an exact number.

Bison, what is acceptable converter line pressure?, or is that measured as cooler out pressure?

.012-.015" off the flex plate all the way in to all the way out.

Hoping I can still save it. Going to order some bearings and drop the pan this week.

Brandon!

Back