You can type here any text you want

Found bad news under my valve cover

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

434nova

Recently took my car to the dyno and found out it wouldnt rev or make any more power above 4800 rpm. I did put down 470 rwhp at 25#s though. I was told it was a possible valve spring issue. So today I decided to pull the valve cover to see what type of rockers I had and what my seat pressure was since I needed new valve springs. The seat pressure I got was around 95 - 100 on the seat. I believe this is a problem for sure. My cam is a 206 hydraulic roller with around 520 max lift if that much. Heads are gn1 champions , and I found out that have gn1 1.65 rockers. Here is where I find the bad news , looking at the head I see a shiny metal like spring , come to find out its an elastor from my valve seal. I only seen 1 elastor and havent took off the rockers or the 2nd valve cover to see if I have any other valve seals missing there elastors. What would cause this ? Did the retainer hit the valve seal or is it possible to have 1 bad valve seal? My curent valve spring should be fine with my combo its only a baby cam , springs are k motion 750. Motor does have around 20,000 on it but it runs fine other than that valve seal issue and not being able to make power above 4800 rpm. What installed height should I be at with these heads on that valve spring ? Could there be other damage to the heads ? Whats your thoughts on this problem. Thanks

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Roller cam
135-140 psi on the seat
And with a 1.65 rocker your around
560ish on lift

95# springs and 26# boost, makes me think the seals got pounded by the bottom of the retainer.

Would a retainer to seal clearence cause this problem or do you think cause the springs got weak is why it hit the seal ?

Any one of those could do it.
Weak springs and over rev/hi boost.
Incorrectly set up to begin with.
If those spring were what cam on the heads when new...Mine were junk after very few passes. I found them at 90+#

Yeah those are the springs that were on since new. I am switching to a pac 1201 spring.

Back