Found my crank is 40/40, what to do?

What to do

• Tear motor out and get new crank

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Stick a cam in it and tear it all apart next winter

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters

Jon01

Pulled the pan and a couple mains/rods off Friday and found that the crank is turned 40/40... :(
Now I get to decide what to do. I pulled the caps to see what the bearings looked like after the cam went flat. Bearings look fine, a couple have some very minor scratches, but nothing that a fingernail hangs up on, just that are visible.
I have two options facing me at this point:
1) Pull motor, find different crank, finish getting roller stuff and girdle/billet main it. Only downside, car won't be together until likely next year.
2) Get new flat tappet cam, stick it in, and start saving/collecting parts. Next winter tear motor out and do option 1. If I go this route, naturally, the car will have an easy summer with low boost only.
The motor always held great oil pressure(20 hot/idle, 50-60 on freeway and 80+ @ wot), but knowing the crank's been turned this much is making me kind of leary about putting it back together only to have something break and cause a big problem...
Would having that much material taken off take enough away from the strength of it to worry about just gently using it?
Thanks for any insight guys!
Jon

I have torn down and rebuilt alot of engines and been around alot of machines shops and worked at a machine shop and never seen or heard of a .040" under bearing.

If it were my personal engine I would run it with no worries. If the crank was machined correct it will be fine up to a certain level of course. Run it hard just like a good 10-10 crank. Frank