You can type here any text you want

found some cheap forged piston and rods..

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

novaderrik

i stumbled across some relatively cheap forged pistons that are listed for the Buick V6 engine, and was wondering what combo of stroke and rod would one need to use the following pistons in a TR engine?
musclemotorsouth_1937_837677

new Pistons set of 6 Bore-3.820—Comp. Ht.-1.480—Ring Grooves-Top 1/16-Second 1/16 Oil ring 3/16—pin dia. .927—weight 479 grms—style-flat

ther are also dish pistons there, as well, but they don't list a dish cc on those.

they also sell some aluminum "turbo" heads and Kinsler mechanical fuel injection intake manifolds that would be pretty trick if converted to EFI- most everything is used and is cheap. the manifold in the pic is for a Stage 2, but they have regular Buick V6 manifolds listed.

You don't want to use flat top pistons. Your compression ratio will be way too high for turbo applications.

the plan is for a dedicated E85 engine, so i can get away with a higher compression ratio- in fact, closer to 10:1 static is closer to what i'm shooting for..

With that much compression your overall cyl psi with boost and timing is going to be up there.
Cyl psi is increased by timing and /or boost further beyond your static (piston top/CC/quench area) and octane is the rating of the fuel to withstand detonation.
E85 is good but not c16

How much boost and timing are you planning on running?

i'm not sure how much boost to run- the main idea is to make the car more efficient when not on the boost- which, honestly, is most of the time- and still allow for a some boost to build when i hit the loud pedal.
i just stumbled across these parts and they got my attention, since they are about the only true flat tops i've seen for the 231 Buick. they also have a dish piston listed, but don't give the cc of the dish.

sounds like you would need a rod around 6.350" with a .927 end-i think dan strezo has some.

10-1 WOW:eek: Way up there in my opinion. Like stated above I would stay around 9-1 or so. Most pistons I've run across are in the 20-25cc range but you need to know exactly. Good luck with it. Jon Hanson

there are lots of other engine families out there that live with 10:1 static compression with turbos- some even on 93 octane pump gas and about 10psi of boost- so why not a Buick running liquified corn?
yes, i realize i'd be giving up some power by not running 20psi of boost- but, realistically, the car spends 90% of it's time doing the commuter thing, and the extra squeeze makes things snappier off the line and more efficient in steady state cruising mode.
if people out there are building and driving 13:1 naturally aspirated small and big block V8's on E85, then why not a turbo'ed V6 at only 10:1?

If ur keeping the boost that low...........but what if you have to put gas in it?

If ur keeping the boost that low...........but what if you have to put gas in it?
the idea is for a dedicated corn burner- every small town around here has at least one E85 pump, and there is a brand new ethanol plant 25 miles from me, so getting E85 isn't a problem.
i'm just thinking (more like dreaming..) about doing what the big car makers don't want to do- building a car that can only run on E85 or E100.
so, i think i saw a response somewhere about the rods to use..

Back