Fox Body, the Lego kit of cars

Gn-ing said:
what about the 95-96 V-8 explorer head?...aren't they the cast iron Gt-40 heads? would they be better than 89 Mustang GT heads?>

They didnt make a V8 Explorer until 1996. Please reread the last line of what I typed. The iron GT40's are minimally better without extensive porting and even then there are so many other heads that run circles around them (AFR 165's, TFS Twisted Wedges, Edelbrock Performer RPM)

Thanks much. It was definitely a bad ride, but didn't mind sitting in rush hour traffic with the a/c on. Next Mustang I build will be a turbo car......got hairdryer fever something bad.... :biggrin: Won't hurt my feelings too bad to have a 500+ rwhp daily driver again....lol.

Pablo said:
slo86gn

mean ride man
reminds me of the cars I used to see at the street races

its too bad but you dont see that sort of thing anymore at all :(

Slo86GN said:
Thanks much. It was definitely a bad ride, but didn't mind sitting in rush hour traffic with the a/c on. Next Mustang I build will be a turbo car......got hairdryer fever something bad.... :biggrin: Won't hurt my feelings too bad to have a 500+ rwhp daily driver again....lol.

If you decide to go turbo, then make sure you plan for some sort of DFI set up to replace the factory electronics. The factory electronics can only be bandaided so far with a turbo (or super charger for that matter).
One of my future upgrades is going with either the AEM set up or FAST.

GNVAIR said:
If you decide to go turbo, then make sure you plan for some sort of DFI set up to replace the factory electronics. The factory electronics can only be bandaided so far with a turbo (or super charger for that matter).

I agree. Also, you have the option of doing a blow through carb set up and eliminating most of the aspect of eletronics :)

Also, last month I bought Car Craft magazine and there was write up about a Ford Fairmont running 9.89 and 10.0x street tune. He was running an all stock rebuilt 302 with girdle, world product heads and a blow through carb set up:eek: He probable has less the 5k in the entire set up from what I read.

Did anyone else see this? Also, he didn't even use an I/C!

i perfer my stang being carbed
pict0068.jpg

Raymond Bunch said:
I agree. Also, you have the option of doing a blow through carb set up and eliminating most of the aspect of eletronics :)

Also, last month I bought Car Craft magazine and there was write up about a Ford Fairmont running 9.89 and 10.0x street tune. He was running an all stock rebuilt 302 with girdle, world product heads and a blow through carb set up:eek: He probable has less the 5k in the entire set up from what I read.

Did anyone else see this? Also, he didn't even use an I/C!

That car has been around for years. Most of it was hand fabricated which is cool if you have the know how. Nice cheap set up, but you are still saddled with carbureted drivability and emissions. I live in New Jersey where we have IM240 emissions testing, so converting to a carburetor is out of the questions. Plus IMHO, its going backwards. The main advantage of these cars was the drivability with fuel injections. My car is still emissions legal and drives like a stocker.
Did I also mention that it gets 20+ mpg on the highway still as well ;)

GNVAIR said:

Yup....heard some good things about the AEM setup. Couple of guys in Atlanta are using it with good results. Lot more of them running the FAST setup though.

I think I'm getting burnt out on the Buick again....might be because of the $$ involved in fixing one up...lol. It's so much easier/cheaper to build a fast Stang than it is a Buick, and the turbo kits have come a long way for them. Getting so that it's not unusual to see a 500+ rwhp pump gas Stang. My 88 would sit in traffic or cruise along w/o a care....still knocked down 21-22 mpg on the hwy as well. What made it even more fun was sitting next to some yuppie in a BMW who was trying to talk on his cellphone....1 3/4 longtubes, 3" X pipe, 3" Flowmasters w/dumps kinda drowned him out... :biggrin: Hard to beat that kind of flexability/fun....lol.

WE FINALLY FINISHED

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=604942

I've never installed this many mods at once on any car. We basically did a years worth of mods in about 5 days worth of labor. I can't even remember all of it, doing springs, shocks, caster/camber plates, to tearing the engine down to the short block, removing the steering rack, and re-doing the oil pan gasket. I feel like I know sbf's almost as well as I know sbc's at this point

3.jpg

When we finally finished we decided to take a victory shot with our supercool matching Summit Racing caps. I'm the guy in the coveralls.
5.jpg

"Took the restrictor plate off to give the Green Dragon a little more juice. But it's not exactly street legal, so keep it on the down low."

Pablo said:
I'm in Miami (my hometown) on vacation for a couple weeks and am helping my buddy install about 4500 bux worth of parts in his 91 LX 5.0 notchback t5 car

He probably had the last near stock one on earth.

This is the first time I've ever worked on one of these cars and wow, this thing is so simple its ridiculous.

Every part is packaged like it could be sold on the shelf of walmart, and with full instructions and details, most of the stuff he has purchased is part of just one huge kit from trickflow from the intake, heads, cam down to every last fastener.

It took us an afternoon to do the springs, shocks, and caster/camber plates... doing the front suspension on my Buick was about 100 times harder

We pulled it in the garage today to do the engine, started at like noon, by 8 the whole thing was torn down to the shortblock. This is working with an extreme lack of tools.

Im also noticing distinct similarities to GM cars. The rear suspension is almost exactly like a T/R except a TR doesnt hvae what they call "quad shocks"

The front suspension is almost exactly like my former thirdgen F body cars only it seemed less beefy, and the lengths of the a arm and tie rod are very short (cant be good)

The chassis looks like alot of thinly stamped steel, no wonder these things are light, a thirdgen k member looks like a slab of cast iron, on the stang it looks like body panel material lol

The engine accessory drive is EXACTLY the same as my thirdgen Fbody with serpentine setup. Their accessory brackets seem to be more of a hodgepodge of stamped metal parts bolted to eachother though whereas the f body uses two enormous cast AL brackets for everything

Engine wise there seem to be alot less bolts going on, obviously the heads, the intake came apart quick too.

a SUPER annoying thing is that so many plugs on these cars look exactly the same. On GM cars the plugs are all different so its impossible to even get confused. On top of that, every single ford plug has two clips, its extremely annoying taking off the plugs without breaking the clip on atleast one side.

Lets not forget the special fuel and AC line connections.. WTF?

I've been doing some research on stang boards too, trying to find out about their egr function... talk about commercialized, between every post is an ad for another cookie cutter bolt on guaranteed to give you x amount of hp in your 5.0. I knew their aftermarket was big, but its really just unbelievably big, to the point that parts have even generic brand knock offs of the real thing (he apparently has generic knock offs of FMS headers)

Just thought it was interesting to see that side of things, I've always owned gm cars where parts come in a plain brown box with either no instructions or really rudimentary instructions and alot of home made stuff. It seems like on a stang there is nothing you could think of that hasn't been tried before and is being sold for those cars

Its also not surprising why they are so light, they are really unsubstantial.

Fun to drive though, after we did the suspension i got to take it for a test run. Talk about oversteer happy! Im guessing thats a byproduct of what we did, everything I had previously heard was that they were big on understeer.

I liked these cars, I still do, but I could never own one... way too mainstream. If cars were music, mustangs would be top 40

here is our supercharged 89 GT.....low miler.....mostly bolt ons

Attachments

• kenne bell.jpg
    kenne bell.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 83
  • mustang.jpg
    mustang.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 86
  • mustang1.jpg
    mustang1.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 78