You can type here any text you want

frame hitting body?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87geeinn

Buick and AMG pilot
I recently upgraded a significant portion of my suspension. I went from completely stock suspension to Bilstein's all around, UMI tubular upper and lowers, 1" sway bar and new variable rate springs in the back. However, I have NOT done body bushings yet. Although the car feels much tighter on the street, I have a physical knocking that seems to be coming from around the #3-4 bushings area whenever I hit a bump in the road. The only thing I can think of is that now that the chassis is so much more less forgiving, that the frame is actually knocking up against the body, especially where the metal spacers are on the lower part of the #3 and #4 bushings. Any input or people with similar issues?

I recently upgraded a significant portion of my suspension. I went from completely stock suspension to Bilstein's all around, UMI tubular upper and lowers, 1" sway bar and new variable rate springs in the back. However, I have NOT done body bushings yet. Although the car feels much tighter on the street, I have a physical knocking that seems to be coming from around the #3-4 bushings area whenever I hit a bump in the road. The only thing I can think of is that now that the chassis is so much more less forgiving, that the frame is actually knocking up against the body, especially where the metal spacers are on the lower part of the #3 and #4 bushings. Any input or people with similar issues?
----------------------
These cars all came out of the factory without the #'s 3 & 4 body bushings. Were yours added at some later date?
Adding the # 5 (GNX) body bushings might help somewhat, but should not be used as a bandaid repair. HTH

No, the bushings are completely stock. By the #3 and #4 bushings, I was referring to the little metal spacers that are placed in the spots between the frame and the body. I do not have the lower #3, #4, and obviously #5 bushings.

No, the bushings are completely stock. By the #3 and #4 bushings, I was referring to the little metal spacers that are placed in the spots between the frame and the body. I do not have the lower #3, #4, and obviously #5 bushings.
-----------------------
I don't remember reading of sililiar issues, but i have a feeling that you will be installing #'s 3,4,& 5 body bushings as the next mod. FWIW:
I run Bilsteins on all 4's, Kirban stock height front & rear stiffer coil springs, #'s 3, 4, & 5 body bushings installed, BMR fully adjustable upper rear control arms with 1Le rubber at the rear and spherical bearings at the frame side (front), Global West lower rear control arms with the Del-A-lum bushings at the rear and spherical bearings at the frame side (front), had the 1" rear sway bar with no problems/issues, went to the 1 3/8" rear sway bar to remove more body lean, Savitske calssic & Custom (SC&C) Street Comp II upper front control arms with the taller Howe ball joints, 16" replica GNX rims o all 4 corners, and no issues other than a slight about 1/2" body lean to passenger side that I attribute to the springs sagging prematurely on passenger side or the newly installed 1 3/8" rear sway bar. No squeaks, no rattles, very responsive handling characteristics.

-----------------------
I don't remember reading of sililiar issues, but i have a feeling that you will be installing #'s 3,4,& 5 body bushings as the next mod.

Ditto.

Now did our cars come without the #7 bushing also. I was looking into ordering this stuff and I seem to recall something about the # 7 as well as the above mentiuoned bushings.

Ditto.
Now did our cars come without the #7 bushing also. I was looking into ordering this stuff and I seem to recall something about the # 7 as well as the above mentiuoned bushings.
-----------------------------
Per Dennis Kirban, about 1 out of every 7 turbo Buicks They have inspected or looked at, were missing the # 7 body bushing from the factory. A quick cursory look will show if yours is missing or not. Mine was intact.

-----------------------------
Per Dennis Kirban, about 1 out of every 7 turbo Buicks They have inspected or looked at, were missing the # 7 body bushing from the factory. A quick cursory look will show if yours is missing or not. Mine was intact.

Ok, I knew I read something about it but couldn't remember it. I haven't ordered my bushing set(s) yet since I don't have the car ATM. It's got an electrical short and I don't do electrical work. I'm so nervous...I never put my cars in the shop :redface: I did however order some new battery cables and window motors from Kirban. I'm pretty excited about that :biggrin:

Ok, I knew I read something about it but couldn't remember it. I haven't ordered my bushing set(s) yet since I don't have the car ATM. It's got an electrical short and I don't do electrical work. I'm so nervous...I never put my cars in the shop :redface: I did however order some new battery cables and window motors from Kirban. I'm pretty excited about that :biggrin:
---------------------------
I have 1 shop that takes care of my suspension & I have 1 shop that takes care of all other work. I virtually never let them keep my car overnight, I take take it in 1st thing in am, and I drive it out asap. And I stay there the whole time and keep a very close eye on it.

---------------------------
I have 1 shop that takes care of my suspension & I have 1 shop that takes care of all other work. I virtually never let them keep my car overnight, I take take it in 1st thing in am, and I drive it out asap. And I stay there the whole time and keep a very close eye on it.

Yes sir,

I actually know the guy who owns the shop working on my car. It's locked up and almost disabled. It's still nerve racking not having it here locked up in the garage. It's going to be there atleast a week...It's a small town and only one decent auto electrican in town.

mine did the same thing went with the red poly's from summit and it rides unbelievabley tight and smooth mine would bang under the passengerside under the door and my loop would hit the driveshaft on second gear shift they also come with the gnx bushing

Back