Frame off restoration kind of.

Need some guidance on this subject. I have a roller I purchased about a year ago that I'm restoring to a show car condition.

I have the entire front end removed, i.e. suspension, fenders, hood, etc. I have recently removed all the oiled junk on the front portion of the frame and painted it with Eastwood's Chassis Black. Look's nice! Can't believe how much piled up oil and mud can accumalate through the years. :eek:

Anyway, I want to continue to paint the rest of the frame and at the same time change out the bushings. My question, if I remove all the seats, carpet, etc. from inside, can I easily lift up the body from underneath using 4x2's? If so, should I position the lumber from right to left or front to rear on each side? Which would be best?

I don't plan on sliding the frame out as I will be cleaning and painting it where it stands. At the same time I want to remove the fuel lines so I can paint them or chrome them. Not sure yet.

Another question, if I do go with lifting the body off the frame, what measurements do I need to take to make sure when I attached the body back to the frame it's lined up evenly?

Appreciate your opinions/thoughts! :)

Dannyo

I would use 4x4's to hold it up once you get it off the frame. It should go much easier for you considering you have the front clip off. Place some 2x4's parralell to the frame under the cars floor boards and lift it gently up. Then slide the 4x4's peprpindicular to the frame rails inbetween the frame and body. This should put it up high enough for what you want to do.

As far as aligning the body onto the chasis. I just lowered mine down and set the rear wheel opening evenly in relation ship to the centerline of the rear axle.

Good luck with your project.

Sam

Measurements??? What are those????

If all twelve body and radiator support bolts line up, you should be good given the car is straight when you start.

Measurements??? What are those????

If all twelve body and radiator support bolts line up, you should be good given the car is straight when you start.

You are pretty much correct. The fun part is getting them all to align back up. Pry bars, driftpins, and lots of manipulating.

Hey Sam,
Sorry I could not see you off this weekend, I was feeling a little shall we say "tired" :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thanks for everything, it has been alot of fun getting to know you and Toni through the TSM season. I can't wait for next year, it should be very interesting to see what happens with your car ;)

Don't be a stranger in the off season!!!!!