You can type here any text you want

Free air subs

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Kent C

I have read alot of posts here and nobody seems to use Free Air subs, Why? I have four 10" Free Air subs very well sealed facing the rear seat and I think it sounds good and takes up little to no trunk space! Would it sound that much better if I had the subs in a box? The main reason I went this route is because I didn't want to lose alot of trunk space, but if it is that much of an advantage to put them in a box I might reconsider

I use free air subs!..in my gn i have a pair of morel cw8's..in the wifes we4 is a pair of kicker f-12's...the install is not as easy as throw'n in a box :rolleyes: ..

Free air subs are designed to be used in a free air setup. They will sound like cr@# in a box. Just like a nice set of subs designed for a specific box design (sealed, ported, iso) will sound bad in a setup they are not designed for.

A free air sub setup can sound nice and do a very good job of re-enforcing the bottom end of the frequency range. Just don't expect them to set any sound pressure records. :p

You can use lots of different subs that are not "designed" for free air. You just need to make sure that you have a good amount of power and that the trunk is sealed from the interior of the car.

You can have your rear seat braces. Just rig up a couple of 90 degree brackets to bolt your batten board to and seal off the edges. You lose a little more trunk space, but not as much as with a box.:D

Back