Freeze Plug sealent to use?

Jan Larsson

Installing the freeze plugs in the block can I use the ARP sealent I will be using for the headbolts and other threaded items or just plain black RTV or something else?

You don't really NEED anything. I always put a really thin layer of rtv around them and then install them.

Block is really clean and the holes for the plugs as well.

I used the ARP bolt sealent on one of them before I thought I better ask what to use ... should I replace that one and use some RTV instead or am I fine leaving that on in there?

Also for the rear plug/cup covering the cam bearing hole, some rtv on that one as well or something else? Also how deep do you install that one, don't want it to touch the cam right?

i installed mine dry with no problem. i have also installed them with RTV and just put a fine coat on the out side. either way works.

At the machine shop i worked at we used the brown Permatex Form-a-gasket #1 hardening.

(#2 is pliable)

Or do i have that mixed up?
well either way it says hardening on the tube.
Perfect stuff all you need is a thin coat and it just acts as a lube when putting them in and a little sealing insurance.

At the machine shop i worked at we used the brown Permatex Form-a-gasket #1 hardening.

(#2 is pliable)

Perfect stuff all you need is a thin coat and it just acts as a lube when putting them in and a little sealing insurance.

+1

(#2 is pliable)

I second that with a swedge every 90 degrees