You can type here any text you want

Freeze plug

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

27Skulls

Been having a small coolant leak and seems one of the freeze plugs is weeping. Is it possible to install new if there is a decent amount of room to work?

Been having a small coolant leak and seems one of the freeze plugs is weeping. Is it possible to install new if there is a decent amount of room to work?

It is possible if you can get a socket (about 1/4" smaller diameter than the plug) in there and be able to hit it with a hammer. You may have to remove a header and crossover, or the starter, but it is possible. If not, worst case scenario for semi-temporary uses they used to sell a rubber plug that had a wing nut on the end with a bolt run through the middle. Tighten the nut and the rubber expands, sealing the hole. Again, wouldn't run it like this for long, but if you are in a bind could work. Or, if you are like me, convince the wife you MUST pull the motor now, and since you are there you should upgrade the heads, cam, turbo, etc, etc. I usually get myself in trouble that way. :biggrin:

Plug

Thanks for the tip. Had "all" that removed to install new trans lines about four months ago, oh well, it'll be fun to do it again.

LOL, I think the wives are starting to catch on to us!:D

I crawled under mine today... I hope the one you are missing is not behind the motor mount or it has to come out too... Good luck!!

Are you saying with this tool, one can remove and install correct size freeze plugs with minimal room to work?

Back