You can type here any text you want

Front cover mods

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I'm doing the Earl Brown front cover mods. I'm interested if any one has done this, if so do you drill the 1/2 inch hole all the way through the high pressure oil feed?

I did. You can only go so far as the drill bit tip will want to go into the side of the high pressure feed galley. You'll see what I mean once you start doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's been done by a few people over the years. :)

MAKE SURE you're careful if you're drilling a chinese cover. It's been reported that you can blow out the side or break into that bolt hole boss. If you're working with a GM cover, just go for it and don't worry about it. (It's also a lot easier if you drill the short side first)

Yeah its my factory cover. The drilling went well. I'm pretty meticulous so it cleaned up nice. I read your article from a long time ago and it made a lot of sense to me. Any suggesting on making sure I set my pump up correct? It's going to be a standard volume pump with your upgrades.

Thanks for the replies

Hey Earl, do you touch up the passage that get drilled to 1/2? Mine has a pretty good scratch from the drill bit is shaving. K thought about some sand paper on a wooden dowel in the drill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're drill is nice and sharp, it won't be that bad. It doesn't leave as good of a finish as a reamer would but it's no big deal if the surface is rough. Just make sure it's not all jagged and/or has flakes that might come loose under operation.

Keep in mind too, that a 1/2 hole has almost double the flow area as a 7/16 hole. The surface finish really won't hurt you. Just make sure to radius that 90 in there. I like a nice flat D-port with a large of a radius as you can swing.

check your phone, it kept going straight to voicemail... is our favorite dirty book store in a metal building? :)

Back