You can type here any text you want

Front Cover Removal for Head Gasket replacement?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

boosted3

Well i thought i had a blown header gasket so i replaced them along with a bunch of other leaking gaskets. Finished up spring cleaning and went to fire up the car this evening and it had the same sound. It turns out that the #2 cylinder has blown out the side of the gasket and it sounds like a steam engine. Its been a long time since I did the head gaskets so im trying to get all the facts before i start. I am ordering all the gaskets tomorrow. I cant remember if I need to remove the front cover to do them. What all should i buy in order to do this? I was planning on pulling the oil pan and replacing the rear main seal while I was doing this just so i dont have to worry about any more oil leaks. I was going to buy the rebuild kit from full throttle speed that comes with head gaskets and also get the ARP head bolt kit. im just wondering if there is anything else that I am going to need to get this job done. any suggestions for parts that i should replace while I have it apart?
Thanks in advance for all the help!

Leave the cover on. You should pull the pan anytime you have head gasket failure to remove any gasket material that might have went into the crank case

Well i thought i had a blown header gasket so i replaced them along with a bunch of other leaking gaskets. Finished up spring cleaning and went to fire up the car this evening and it had the same sound. It turns out that the #2 cylinder has blown out the side of the gasket and it sounds like a steam engine. Its been a long time since I did the head gaskets so im trying to get all the facts before i start. I am ordering all the gaskets tomorrow. I cant remember if I need to remove the front cover to do them. What all should i buy in order to do this? I was planning on pulling the oil pan and replacing the rear main seal while I was doing this just so i dont have to worry about any more oil leaks. I was going to buy the rebuild kit from full throttle speed that comes with head gaskets and also get the ARP head bolt kit. im just wondering if there is anything else that I am going to need to get this job done. any suggestions for parts that i should replace while I have it apart?
Thanks in advance for all the help!

Why don't you just pull the motor???

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Thanks for the info! Ill just order up head bolts, intake, exhaust, head, oil pan gaskets and rear main! The worst part is i just filled the engine up with oil and a bottle of ZDDP which is now wasted! hehe the luck of the draw!

Well i didnt really think a head gasket change was worth pulling the whole motor. not to mention I dont have an engine crane. I was only asking if the front cover needed to be pulled. i ran home on my lunch break to check it out. I will be ordering the gaskets today and doing the gasket change this weekend. thanks for all the input!

Back