front end clunking

hotgnrod

My regal has developed a clunking in the front end. I already have new ball joints. I was just told by a friend that his gp was recalled for the rack and pinion. Were the regals recalled too??

Thanks.
Rod

No Regals in the recall that I know of. you might want to check both upper and lower motor mounts and the lower tranny mount.

Can you make the noise with your foot on the brake and shift from R to D to R? This may indicate motor mounts.

Mike

The noise is mostly present when the car is rolling (forward or reverse) and th wheels are being turned.

Thanks.
Rod

You might want to check your CV joints. They will make a clunking sound when you are rolling .

Does it feel like clunking feel in the steering wheel when accelerating or turning? Or does it feel more like suspension?

If it's the clunking in the steering wheel, the intermediate steering shaft needs to greased. If it's suspensoin, could be axle shafts or motor mounts.

Eric

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will put it up on the hoist and check the axles and the intermediate shaft.

Rod

How about the abs brakes. I have heard alot of guys (including me that have had this problem). Mine does it the first time I move the car and then does not do it again.

I had a 98 Lumina that had a similar noise, so I replace the struts. Noise was still there. I then had the top strut mounts replaced (most shops will tell you they never need to be replaced). Clunk disappeared from one side but not the other. Had Sears re-replace the clunking one and the noise went away. Might be your problem.