You can type here any text you want

Front End flexing?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Boston GN

Curious as to what I can do to prevent this. I.E: What braces I should get or anything else I can do to solidify this.
I noticed on the end of my front fillers is paint being rubbed off by the inside of the bumper, meaning over certain road conditions (driveways I would assume) the the front is flexing causing the bumper to rub against the filler.

I'm assuming the three front end braces are a must, but is there anything else?
TIA

You are talking about the bars that go out from the center of the engine crossmember to the "horns." ( junk yard - Pontiac Lemans and Bonneville's - most popular for me to find) Then you have the Kirban brace that ties the horns, and finally you have the rods ( adjustable) or bars that connect the inner metal fender trip to the radiator core support. http://gnsperformance.com/products/g-bodybracing.html . You can also check your bushings under your core support.
Also make sure that all bolts that hold your bumper is tight.

I would check out the support bushings/mounts first then worry about the braces...Mike

I definitely need the core support bushings. I also could use the under car brace from Kirban (I have the fender ones already). Last time I tried that my IC was in the way, but I'm going to look again to see if I can attache the bars in a different location.

I definitely need the core support bushings. I also could use the under car brace from Kirban (I have the fender ones already). Last time I tried that my IC was in the way, but I'm going to look again to see if I can attache the bars in a different location.

If you have a stretch IC - you can make an adaptor plate

Install them semi-tightly and swing them towards the center plate - leaving enough clearance to be safe.
Then bolt the rough plate on the center, mark holes, drill and clean up plate.
1/2' Alum flat stock also works.

Also, for added strength - find a junkyard brace - from anything.
Cut to rough length - notch ends with a hole saw of proper diameter or whiz wheel.
TIG weld that bar in.
Paint.

Attachments

• image-2481616957.jpg
    image-2481616957.jpg
    526.7 KB · Views: 187
  • 117767992308_0_BG1.jpg
    117767992308_0_BG1.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 236
  • DSCN0886.jpg
    DSCN0886.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 252
Curious as to what I can do to prevent this. I.E: What braces I should get or anything else I can do to solidify this.
I noticed on the end of my front fillers is paint being rubbed off by the inside of the bumper, meaning over certain road conditions (driveways I would assume) the the front is flexing causing the bumper to rub against the filler.

I'm assuming the three front end braces are a must, but is there anything else?
TIA

But I would guess your body is moving more than your frame.
You more than likely need bushings.

If you have a stretch IC - you can make an adaptor plate

Install them semi-tightly and swing them towards the center plate - leaving enough clearance to be safe.
Then bolt the rough plate on the center, mark holes, drill and clean up plate.
1/2' Alum flat stock also works.

Also, for added strength - find a junkyard brace - from anything.
Cut to rough length - notch ends with a hole saw of proper diameter or whiz wheel.
TIG weld that bar in.
Paint.

Much appreciated!! I may be going front mount, so that would actually make everything a lot easier too

Grand Prix style side to side front brace

Attachments

• 722x480_connectingfrontbrace.jpg
    722x480_connectingfrontbrace.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 108
Much appreciated!! I may be going front mount, so that would actually make everything a lot easier too

Standard jounce bars should fit around a standard LC2 FMIC or especially HA motor.
Those can bolt on in 10 minutes.
If you're slow.

Are there definitive answers as to what front braces work with what intercoolers??? Everyone seems to have a different answer as to what works or doesn't

I think it all depends on what intercooler you are going to use. Do you know yet? If going with bigger slic you might have to make an adapter plate to bolt on to the front crossmember and then bolt the braces(that go from the crossmember to the frame)onto like previously mentioned and shown in the pictures above. If going with a front mount those should not be in the way of the pipes but if you're want to run the brace that mounts from frame rail to frame rail you might have interference issues. In that case you have a cross bar welded(also as previously mentioned and pictured ) between the 2 crossmember to frame braces in a spot that clears the pipes. I would fit the intercooler first and then fit the braces around it. If you're ever in the south shore area you can swing by and I can show you some examples as I have several different setups one front mount and one slic on my two ttypes. Joel

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I think it all depends on what intercooler you are going to use. Do you know yet? If going with bigger slic you might have to make an adapter plate to bolt on to the front crossmember and then bolt the braces(that go from the crossmember to the frame)onto like previously mentioned and shown in the pictures above. If going with a front mount those should not be in the way of the pipes but if you're want to run the brace that mounts from frame rail to frame rail you might have interference issues. In that case you have a cross bar welded(also as previously mentioned and pictured ) between the 2 crossmember to frame braces in a spot that clears the pipes. I would fit the intercooler first and then fit the braces around it. If you're ever in the south shore area you can swing by and I can show you some examples as I have several different setups one front mount and one slic on my two ttypes. Joel

Thanks Joel. I have a larger slic now. I was going to go fm, but I'm going to hold off on that. I definitely want the brace that connects the front rails.

Thanks Joel. I have a larger slic now. I was going to go fm, but I'm going to hold off on that. I definitely want the brace that connects the front rails.

Either buy a set from another member; or Kirbans
Or - hit the junkyard

As to what fits and what doesn't - It's mostly trial and error - although they are more or less standard in shape and dimensions - I can not attest to the fact that they fit around a Stock SLIC
And if not - the adaptor plate is an easy make.

If you buy from a vendor, that vendor can surely tell you what it fits and what it doesn't
Sure - members can say their jounce bars fit their combo , but which jounce bars; etc.

Back