Front License Plate Bracket

CzyKats44

This is the way.
My GN was sold in a state that requires only the back plate. Im in NY which requires both. I have the bracket from the 87 T that I parted and was going to put it on the 84 GN.

Problem. I don't remember the hardware that it was supposed to have or, how it should go together.
There are existing holes but the aluminum support holes are tiny (see attached). Do I tap them directly or nut plate it? Do I drill it out and use a nut and bolt?

My question is how did it come from the factory? Any one got pics?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 1425068775719.jpg
    1425068775719.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 142
  • 1425068787159.jpg
    1425068787159.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 152
Here's how it's done, and hope this will help you. A simple job.

DSC_0546.JPG Get yourself two screws as shown. (I primed one pair to put under the bumper, the other two, I don't know why in hell I photographed them.)Then get two clips with threads as shown....the threads should match the threads on the screws.

DSC_0548.JPG Place the threaded clips under the bumper, as shown, then push in until you can see the threads through the stock bumper holes.

DSC_0549.JPG Put the license plate bracket under the bumper and thread in the two screws as shown into the threaded clips you pushed in previously. (You DID push them in, right?):eek: I think I put the bracket shown, upside down....I thin it goes the other way.. with the lip pointing upwards.......just hold a license plate over the two top holes on the bumper and see which way the holes will line up with the bracket at the bottom, then you'll know.........I'm sorry for the confusion, my mind has been elsewhere. I should have checked, but, it's all ice and freezing outside here...I barely made it out and back from the garage.....ice everywhere, and I'm old, in pain, creaky, ugly, and fragile....perfect for Medicare.:arghh:

DSC_0550.JPG You'll need two plastic spacers like this...the stock ones were hard to find, so I made my own out of a scrap piece of plastic rod....it's 3/4" dia, by 3/4" long...then drill through the holes, as shown..to allow the screws to pass through freely. The screws are 1 1/4" long, black lag screws. You can make spacers out of any plastic round thingy you can find. Use your imagination. I used what was left of mine.:rolleyes:

DSC_0551.JPG This is how you'll be using the two spacers, at the top holes of the bumper for the license plate...the spacers keep the plate straight up and down in relation to your newly mounted lower license plate bracket.

They say helping another is good medicine for one who has been having a very hard time......thus, I've been having the worse time ever in my life getting over the death of my beloved Mom last month, still losing it every day since. I never knew a man could cry that much.:( It must work, as I feel a little better knowing I've helped someone today.:)
Let me know how it comes out.

Enjoy that GN....I sure love mine. One great car that I can't live without.(y)

Bruce '87 Grand National

Last edited:
Bruce, thanks for the reply good pics and I like the spacer hack. That's how I think it came off of the 87. On the 84 bumper, though, the bumper support covers the holes so there is nowhere for the clip to slide between the face and support. Together they are too thick to slip a nut plate over. See attached.

Sorry to hear about the fam, always a downer, glad you are staying positive!!

-G

Attachments

• 1425518260596.jpg
    1425518260596.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 137
  • 1425518271255.jpg
    1425518271255.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 126
You might be able to "bend" that aluminum support with a large screwdriver to get the space you need for the clips.....that's one way. Or, mark the area where the hole is on the bumper, on to the aluminum support with a pencil, then take out the support, lay the clip over the hole location you've marked on the support, outline the clip with a pencil, then cut out that area with a dremel tool or a hacksaw.....this would give you space for a clip.......I don't think cutting out a small area like that would affect the strength of it at all....I have an aluminum support also to put in, so if I don't have room to slip the clip under, I'm doing exactly what I suggested so I can put in the clips......just an idea that might help you.

Hard to stay positive, but I'm doing my best....for some reason it's really hitting me hard at this time......delayed reaction, or turbo lag?

Thank you, so very kindly, about the words about my family.....my mother's passing.....I appreciate your compassion......that's really nice of you, made me feel a little better. You're a good person.....always stay that way. Nice people on this forum.....glad you're one of them.

Bruce '87 Grand National

You're welcome. Let us know if it works out. I think it should.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Solution, blend in a contour into the aluminum. Thanks again Bruce.

Attachments

• 1426021256680.jpg
    1426021256680.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 106
  • 1426021278263.jpg
    1426021278263.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 100