Front Mount Intercooler

TTipe

Snake Skinner
I'm looking for a new intercooler for the new engine etc. If I had my wish perhaps a V2 would get the nod. That can't happen so I'm looking for feedback. I'm not looking for the lowest price, but its hard to get answers from anyone. I have made some assumptions about RJC's 315-xtf & 325 intercoolers and I would like to hear feedback on the GN1 Super Extreme Front Mount. I'm just trying to make a good judgment call since it's tough to get any kind of data such as pressure drop and temperature drop (based on conditions).

From years and years of research on the board it seems like they are the cats meow of intercoolers

I have the GN1 super extreme front mount. No problems with fitup and it works way better than the stock one. I do not have any data comparing it to the RJC however. I bought it because it was the biggest cheapest one that I could find. I suspect the RJC has superior craftsmanship and maybe better numbers as far as pressure drop but I really don't know. I have bought some off shore parts that I wish I could give back but the intercooler is not one of them. If you can afford the RJC I would buy it. Just my 2 cents.

I have the GN1 super extreme front mount. No problems with fitup and it works way better than the stock one. I do not have any data comparing it to the RJC however. I bought it because it was the biggest cheapest one that I could find. I suspect the RJC has superior craftsmanship and maybe better numbers as far as pressure drop but I really don't know. I have bought some off shore parts that I wish I could give back but the intercooler is not one of them. If you can afford the RJC I would buy it. Just my 2 cents.
You did not mention cooling issues and you would not send your intercooler to Shanghei. Those are good things.

I was of the impression that CAS (V1,V2) were pretty good as well.
v1 and v2 haven't been made in years you can only get them used if someone wants to part with them .. look in the used parts section if you want to save money on a FM , look for Precision, esp , or cottons all work great, they pop up sometimes, if buying new id go with a rjc unit..imo

Any giant front mount intercooler that covers the entire front of your radiator will have some effect on cooling. Your radiator and fans need to be in good shape or you may have cooling problems with a giant front mount IC. I bought an aluminum radiator and the dual SPAL fan setup at the same time as I got the intercooler so I did not have any problems. I doubt my old radiator and old stock fan would have been able to keep up in the summers in Houston. You have a good radiator but you don't mention your fan setup. Summers are probably not that bad where you live though.

Any giant front mount intercooler that covers the entire front of your radiator will have some effect on cooling. Your radiator and fans need to be in good shape or you may have cooling problems with a giant front mount IC. I bought an aluminum radiator and the dual SPAL fan setup at the same time as I got the intercooler so I did not have any problems. I doubt my old radiator and old stock fan would have been able to keep up in the summers in Houston. You have a good radiator but you don't mention your fan setup. Summers are probably not that bad where you live though.
I have a brand new Alradco with all the internal coolers, a stock fan wired for high speed only, a 180 stat and aluminum heads. Michigan is not as hot/humid as Houston for sure.

I have this H-U-G-E one which Brian Cotton made for me…couldn't be happier with it!

Claude. (y)
DSCN1006.JPG DSCN1007.JPG

Claude, that's not an intercooler , that's an ice box. What's your pressure drop and temperature rise over ambient?
I did not notice any pressure drop or temperature rise either…In fact, temperature of the air going into the engine is supposed to be lower not higher.

Claude.

The super extreme is actually larger than that. Core is flush with the bottom of the radiator core support and the end tanks are less than a half an inch away from the bumper brackets on mine. Only downside is I already ripped off a lower intercooler hose clamp on a steep driveway. Ground clearance is effected with this style of intercooler.

Compared to my stock intercooler, I seem to recall that the big front mount had 1 or 2 psi less pressure drop than the stock. I checked my air temps at the outlet of the stock IC and they were as high as 295F. Front mount dropped it down to 120F. I have my IAT sensor in the doghouse. Just cruising around on a 90 degree day with the engine hot the IAT reads 110 or so. When I nail it the IAT drops back down at first almost as low as ambient then starts to creep back up to maybe 110 to 120 at the end of a run. I think the big front mounts have kind of a heat sink effect in that there is such a big mass of aluminum there that it takes it a while to heat up when hot air from the turbo starts rushing through it.

I run the Super Extreme on my GN and of course sell them as well. I would rather have a big front mount than say a Precision unit as the end tanks are far enough apart not to impede air flow. We are putting one in the former Heath Elmer TR that my friend recently bought.

Compared to my stock intercooler, I seem to recall that the big front mount had 1 or 2 psi less pressure drop than the stock. I checked my air temps at the outlet of the stock IC and they were as high as 295F. Front mount dropped it down to 120F. I have my IAT sensor in the doghouse. Just cruising around on a 90 degree day with the engine hot the IAT reads 110 or so. When I nail it the IAT drops back down at first almost as low as ambient then starts to creep back up to maybe 110 to 120 at the end of a run. I think the big front mounts have kind of a heat sink effect in that there is such a big mass of aluminum there that it takes it a while to heat up when hot air from the turbo starts rushing through it.
Your description is exactly how the "heat transfer" process works. A 20 to 30 above ambient delta with a 1.5 psi pressure drop will allow a car to run ~ 20psi on pump gas (93) in the mid to low elevens.

I run the Super Extreme on my GN and of course sell them as well. I would rather have a big front mount than say a Precision unit as the end tanks are far enough apart not to impede air flow. We are putting one in the former Heath Elmer TR that my friend recently bought.
I'm trying to get data to help make a decision between your product and your competiton. My goal is to get my car close to the 10's on pump gas (93).

I'm trying to get data to help make a decision between your product and your competiton. My goal is to get my car close to the 10's on pump gas (93).
Following this. This is where I am at now. I'm trapping 113-114 with alky and my stock IC at 22-23 psi (with a TE60). If I can get another 4mph with a good front mount id be deep 11s with no head/cam work. I'd be happy then.