front mount or stretched stock location?

TurboBeagle84

i plan on upgrading to a better intercooler but not sure about which one to get. i thought about a stretched stock location but i dont want to have to fight with it to get it to fit. i was thinking abou the cas v4s but i heard that people were ahving problems getting it to mount up. then i thought about a pte front mount, probably easier to intall, but cost more, and i might have cooling problems. is anyone using a mease stretch intercooler? i have thought about one of those too?

unless you plan to run low 10's and down, a stock location is the only way to go

Mid tens, or above, stretched. Most people don't have significant problems.

Faster, front mount.

IYO, who has the best streth I/C? I had someone asking about this last week.

I recently sold my BGC stretch for $500 w/ additional in-shroud cooling fan, which was on my 87 T. I really liked it, and gained a solid 3-4 tenths at the track w/ it. I have now upgraded to a CAS V2 for my 87 GN. When I sold the T, it had a stocker, to which the new owner upgraded to a CAS V4. He had no installation problems and really likes it too! He says it feels every bit as good as my previous BGC when it was on the car.
The points mentioned by everyone else are correct, in that, what are your end goals?
If you're going to drive the car on the street for any great lengths of time, and during a hot summer, you would be good to stick with the stock location setup. I believe the CAS V4 will also allow you to run your front sway bar, to which I was unable to do with the BGC version. It also depends on what you want to spend. I believe you can find most stock-stetch versions for about $700 (as opposed to the $850 originally paid), and front mounts run around $900 to start with, not including the radiator and fan upgrades you'll need in order to run it efficiently. Having said all that, what I really meant was,,, go with a reputable stock-stretch and you should be completely satisfied. Check out the used parts sections on gnttype.org and this site. People are always upgrading, and you can pick up sweet deals on used pieces.

Mease intercooler

I installed the mease stretch intercooler with the adj shroud about a month ago fits beautifully. The workmanship was also very high quality. I got it with the shroud notched out for the sway bar also a 3 " out pipe

John

thanks for the advice. is mease hard to deal with as far a customer service? how long did you have to wait for the intercooler?i dont want to have to wait around for weeks to get it.

Got my intercooler from Mease in about two weeks. But I also ordered 3" pipe on it

John

i bought two keith mease stretch intercoolers and they both fit and look great,also dont weigh as much as the bgc stretch that i have on my other gn.

It seems that Mease and CAS (Tony DeQuick) both don't have the best customer service (they both have very good quality products) and I think if you order an intercooler from either of them you will be waiting weeks or possibly months as some have. If you want a FM and don't want to wait for the V2 I would order the PTE FM cause I have a friend that ordered one and had it at his door the same week and yes it was fairly easy to install.... As far the cooling problems with a FM this really depends on where you live and since you live in PA I would think you get more cooler weather on average than I would being that I live in Sunny Florida and Woody is from AZ which is also a very hot and dry climate so what I'm trying to say is if the weather is cool you won't have any problems but when it's real hot (like in the summer) you will have cooling problems unless you have a good radiator like the aluminum 3 core CAS sells or a BE-Cool and a good fan kit like the Dual Spal fan kit that you can get from Cal Hartline @ www.hartlineperformance.com
HTH :)

Customer service to the Buick community does suck. Why? If you ask them they will both tell you we are a drop in the bucket of their overall sales. In other words we are low on the food chain! The amount of other items worked on dictates where the focus is put and the Buick stuff is merely a side activity which is the case for more than just a couple of vendors. These two show up in the headlines more but most agree they put out some high quality products as I can vouch for. It is much different if it is your bread winner and you can't afford to have people hot at you!

Yeah, basically if you don't like waiting for your stuff you should have bought a Mustang or a Camaro!!! ;)

I have a mease stretch on my car now, fits well, and the adjustable scoop is great. I also have a ford front mount and ill be doing back to back track testing with them, only takes 15 mins to switch between them. call or email keith, if he has em in stock it shouldent be long. or check and see if cotton or ram chargers has em.

good luck.
Mike

I have a CAS V4 and like it a lot. I didn't have any fitment problems. I bought it used off this board for $550 shipped. The only thing wrong with it was the 2 or 3 bugs that gave thier lives to go for a ride on it.

I understand that the Mease unit consists of two old cores welded together?

16 year old cores are prone to developing leaks and don't use modern ic core technology. On the other hand, if it is considerably cheaper than the V4, it might be worth considering as many people have gone fast using similar products.

stretch

I heard that Mease disapeared and alot of people where waiting on products?And BGC is out of business,is there any one else that makes stretch?

What is modern ic core technology? We haven't had a good discussion in a while. Is it about the fin density in between the tubes, their attachment to the tubes, their composition, the tubes themselves, flow patterns? I realize a new radiator flows better since it's clean, and the 3-pass is innovative, but what is innovative and new in the intercooler world other than size, location and tank design? All they flow is pressurized air which may be infused with oil that needs cleaning out from time to time. The leaks I understand; mine needed a touch of JB Weld on a pinhole.