You can type here any text you want

Front Spring Removeal

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

incharge

OK I need a better understanding on removing the front coil springs on my 87 GN I was going to use a jack under the A frame and remove the 2 pivot bolts on the frame side . can I leave the lower ball joint alone or do I have to at lease break it loose ? Also If I leave it alone will the a arm swing down enough to get the spring out? and finally when I install the new springs do I need to compress the spring or is there enough room to slip it back in with out one ? Thanks, ED

When I installed dropped spindles on my 84 Z28 after removing the brakes (hung them up on a wire out of the way) I removed the spindles. The car was on jack stands.......placed my floor jack under the control arm and jacked it up to place pressure on it..... removed lower ball joint castle nut and knocked the ball joint free from the spindle.....lowered the control arm and the spring fell out....I used a spring compressor to put the old spring back in because the lower control arm is almost vertical to the ground and I couldn't get the spring and control arm to "mesh" to allow the jack to go under the control arm to raise it back up......If I had 2 floor jacks I think I could have jacked it up maybe 2/3 inches......put the other jack under it to keep the pressure on......repositioned the first jack and and taken it on up...
By the way, I had new bushings installed so I completely removed my control arm........but I reinstalled it on the frame before I reassembled the suspension.......I don't think it would be possible to reinstall the control arm if it is not attached to the frame.........I hope this answers some of your questions..If not ask away......

Woody

I would compress the old spring.

I just did the front springs on my car and for safety I compressed the front spring just a bit before removal. With the car supported by jackstands at the frame and a good jack its a 40 minute per side job. I had a good compressor that goes up thru the spring instead of some others that hook on the sides. If ur not sure about it I would just have it done. It cant be that much at a local Midas.

incharge said:
OK I need a better understanding on removing the front coil springs on my 87 GN I was going to use a jack under the A frame and remove the 2 pivot bolts on the frame side . can I leave the lower ball joint alone or do I have to at lease break it loose ? Also If I leave it alone will the a arm swing down enough to get the spring out? and finally when I install the new springs do I need to compress the spring or is there enough room to slip it back in with out one ? Thanks, ED

I'm in favor of the method you've described. No, you don't have to 'break' the lower balljoint loose, and you don't need a spring compressor. You can take out the two pivot bolts with the A-frame supported by a floor jack, and let down the floor jack and the spring will come right out. Reverse the procedure to install the spring. I don't like spring compressors and if you can avoid using one, do so. They are flat out dangerous. ;)

springs

OK Guys I got the old springs out by using the jack under the A frame and knocking the ball joint free then I lowered the jack and got the spring out with a little bit of fighting as it got hung up on the A frame , now what is the best way to get the new springs back in ? do I reinstall the ball joint first and remove the 2 pivot bolts in the A frame and use a jack or do I have to rent a compressor to get them back in ? Thanks for all the help I Just was impatient and started before all the advise was read.

being a chicken, I would still use a safety chain through the spring, regardless.

A released spring could kill or badly maim you.

incharge said:
OK Guys I got the old springs out by using the jack under the A frame and knocking the ball joint free then I lowered the jack and got the spring out with a little bit of fighting as it got hung up on the A frame , now what is the best way to get the new springs back in ? do I reinstall the ball joint first and remove the 2 pivot bolts in the A frame and use a jack or do I have to rent a compressor to get them back in ? Thanks for all the help I Just was impatient and started before all the advise was read.

Going back in you have to attach the A-arm at the ball joint and jack the back.

U need the compressor

U will never get them back in without it. Make sure u turn the spring until it stops in the perch. I neglected todo that on an old 76 cutlass and the damn thing wouls squeak like mad everytime I hit a bump.

Again, you DON'T need a "DANGEROUS" spring compressor. With the ball joint attached, and the two A-Arm to frame saddles bolts removed, simply set the spring up in the cavity, and jack the A-Arm in place, and replace the two bolts. I thought I already said this. :biggrin:

Red Regal T said:
... set the spring up in the cavity, and jack the A-Arm in place, and replace the two bolts...
is it difficult to get the lower A-arm to align with the frame, so that bolt can be inserted? It seems like it might require the floor jack aligned perpendicular to car's frame, so that the jack could be wheeled in/out slightly to align the lower A-arm.
:confused:

tom h said:
is it difficult to get the lower A-arm to align with the frame, so that bolt can be inserted? It seems like it might require the floor jack aligned perpendicular to car's frame, so that the jack could be wheeled in/out slightly to align the lower A-arm.
:confused:

I wouldn't say it was difficult, but it is a consideration. If it doesn't line up you can jockey it into position with a prybar. It's a little easier if you have a helper as you manipulate the jack, and he handles the bar to line up the bolt hole. ;)

Red Regal T said:
I wouldn't say it was difficult, but it is a consideration. If it doesn't line up you can jockey it into position with a prybar. It's a little easier if you have a helper as you manipulate the jack, and he handles the bar to line up the bolt hole. ;)

Thanks guys I got them back in like Red Regal. said, It would have been much easier with help...

Back