Fuel Delivery From Scratch????

all4gss

I'm making a turbo buick hybrid. Right now i'm going to focus on the fuel system. But I need a little help with selection of hose size etc. I plan on using Aeroquip socketless hose and fittings. They're rated at 250psi, anyone have any reason why i shouldn't use this hose? Okay to the questions:

I'm pretty much limited to a repro GN gas tank (which i've heard are crap) or turning a stock G-body gas tank into a sump tank with competition engineering's sump kit or finally a fuel cell.

As far as the pump is concerned. I have a stock GN pickup/pump already. I had planed on using a walbro 340 in-tank pump.

First. I've heard that the return line should be atleast as big, and possibly bigger than the supply line to be able to control the fuel pressure. What return/supply line size would you recommend? Also anyone have any idea how long i would need to go from the fuel tank to the engine compartment? And what side of the frame do the lines run?

Basically, if you were to have designed the original fuel system for the Turbo Regal.. What would it have been? Line size, location, Fuel tank/cell, etc.

Thanks in Advance.

Keith Grant

fuel line

I think most guys are running stock lines . I have AN8 feed and AN6 on the return . I used that because the $$ was not much more that stock lines and i figured that it would be easier to run the lines . The feed lines are hooked up to the rail with a fitting i got from Modernmuscle car , now Ramchargers. The factory rail and regulator have a weird thead on them and special fittings are needed . On the return side i have the stock line going down to a Fitting i made and then to AN6 push lock hose . I have braided on the AN8 . The socket hose is kinda a pain to use , it hard to push the barb in all the way . I run two fuel systems on my car . The stock tank with a in tank and a cell with a big paxton inline , filled with c-16 . I have one ways going into a Y into the filter and them to the rail , a Ford ranger duel gas tank soliniod lets me switch the fuel on the return to the stock tank or the cell , everything is controlled by 3 switches . But any way as far as the return being bigger , i heard that to but the factory fuel line is bigger that the factory return so go figure , i dont know . My setup works so . Im using a N/A regal gas tank for my stocker no baffles but i dont run it to low and my intank setup is modified by me so i think it sits lower . I ran both lines on the driverside . Im glad i went with the AN 8 it let me setup the duel fuel system the way i wanted . Its nice to be able to switch gas on the street and such . Some guys go the Alkey way but the tunning seems more involved and i dont know if id want to try 25lbs of boost on it . I guess it depends what kind of car your putting your hybrid in .

Here is some info based upon what I have done and doing.

By the time you mess with modifying a stock tank with a sump, might as well go with a fuel cell.

You did not say what or why you are doing this, street, strip, both? Nor did you give any idea of how much horsepower you plan?

Some people say stock lines, intank pumps will go into the mid-10's or better. Maybe so, if EVERYTHING is optimized and working great. If I have $10k in a motor, I sure am going to upgrade the entire fuel system.

The Aeroquip Pushlock hose is approved by NHRA for fuel systems and that is what I plan to use next. Cheaper than braided, and lots easier to use.

We have also modified a stock fuel rail to use dual -8 supply and one -8 return. Maybe overkill, but better than a burnt piston!