You can type here any text you want

fuel gauge reads 3/4 full after installing new fuel pump

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

cottonpicker14

Installed a new fuel pump today. Put the gas back in the tank that we siphoned out. Fuel gauge read 1/4 full when it should have read around 3/4.
Tapped the tank and the gauge reads 3/4.
Filled it up and it wont go above 3/4 full on the gauge. Needle use to read above full, but now wont go higher than 3/4.
I assume that the tank would have to be dropped again to check things out ?
Any other suggestions ?
Thanks

Unfort. you are right, the tank needs to be dropped again. The fuel gauge sending units on the fuel pump hose/assembly are a little delicate. More than likely it has gone out. You can try driving the car and see if it starts heading back down but mine always reads a little past full when i fill it up. I would guess a fuel sending unit assembly from any 85-92 Trans Am or Z28 should work but I am not 100% sure. Good used ones pop up on Ebay from time to time or a brand new one from the parts store runs about $200 last time I checked.

Could have bent the float rod druing the R&R process which would cause a messed up read. As said......it still has to come out.:(

Back