Fuel PSI or AFR audible warning?

scrobbyd

Not sure if this is a request that is possible, but it seems to make since with the many fuel psi related issues. May have to be tied in to a power logger or such. Is there a way that a fuel pressure can be set to meet AFR and if it drops below a disired range you would have an audible warning noise? Just courious if this would be a stupid request or is something out there already that I'm not aware of?

Not sure if this is a request that is possible, but it seems to make since with the many fuel psi related issues. May have to be tied in to a power logger or such. Is there a way that a fuel pressure can be set to meet AFR and if it drops below a disired range you would have an audible warning noise? Just courious if this would be a stupid request or is something out there already that I'm not aware of?

Well it would really be up to PSI not afr. meaning it would need to track boost vs pressure. The problem is the boost pressure sending unit would have to be the same as the fuel pressure sending unit. That way both rise in pressure evenly. The expense is really the transducers to monitor this.

Most will record fuel pressure on the datalogger like the PL.. then watch the output. But this would record an after the fact issue. Not be pre-emptive

Well it would really be up to PSI not afr. meaning it would need to track boost vs pressure. The problem is the boost pressure sending unit would have to be the same as the fuel pressure sending unit. That way both rise in pressure evenly. The expense is really the transducers to monitor this.

Most will record fuel pressure on the datalogger like the PL.. then watch the output. But this would record an after the fact issue. Not be pre-emptive

Just curious as to what or how hard it would be to make a power logger send a noise when things are outside of the set parameters? BTW Julio the problem with dads Alky system was the ground wire butt connector. I couldnt see that the butt connector only had a strand of wire holding it in the connector. I just tugged at the wire a little at the connector and it came apart. Installed a new one and the problem was gone.

i purchased Autometer Elite series electric fuel pressure and boost gauges, they have a high and low warning light and have 5v outputs. I want to connect the Fuel pressure output to a Piezo sounder and the XFI. I want to have the XFI cut spark if the fuel pressure drops. I have not installed the gauges yet as I don't have a hood mount. I am thinking this should be pretty easy to tie into the XFI.
The gauges are not cheap but could easily save you from popping a head gasket or worse. Here is a link to the fuel pressure gauge that has a video showing the gauges.
Auto Meter

Bryan

i purchased Autometer Elite series electric fuel pressure and boost gauges, they have a high and low warning light and have 5v outputs. I want to connect the Fuel pressure output to a Piezo sounder and the XFI. I want to have the XFI cut spark if the fuel pressure drops. I have not installed the gauges yet as I don't have a hood mount. I am thinking this should be pretty easy to tie into the XFI.
The gauges are not cheap but could easily save you from popping a head gasket or worse. Here is a link to the fuel pressure gauge that has a video showing the gauges.
Auto Meter

Bryan

Bryan,
This gauge works just like my "Methanol PSI' gauge I sell. The problem is how is this going to detect the fuel system is weak. Your fuel pressure lets say is set to 43 line off.. you run 20 PSI boost= 63 PSI fuel. So what do you set the warning too? 63 PSI.. anything below is a warning=spark cut? That means your on spark cut all the time. Like on my gauge I set 70 PSI.. when the needle goes past 70 it turns from red to white display.

I just dont see how to set the warning to do what you want. Unless i'm missing something.. then i'm all ears :D

The Dash from FAST that ties into with the XFI you can setup an air fuel alram.. air fuel goes past 12:1.. or whatever you set it too.. at WOT.. trips an output relay..

I dont know how you could cut spark.. dont think you'd want to do that as killing the engine you lose steering and brakes. At 130 MPH.. that could be very bad. You could actually blow the transmission killing the motor at that speed.

Just curious as to what or how hard it would be to make a power logger send a noise when things are outside of the set parameters? BTW Julio the problem with dads Alky system was the ground wire butt connector. I couldnt see that the butt connector only had a strand of wire holding it in the connector. I just tugged at the wire a little at the connector and it came apart. Installed a new one and the problem was gone.

Who put the butt connector there?

The powerlogger is like a scanmaster. It has no outputs. Unless Bailey makes a circuit that ties things like that together.

Bryan,
This gauge works just like my "Methanol PSI' gauge I sell. The problem is how is this going to detect the fuel system is weak. Your fuel pressure lets say is set to 43 line off.. you run 20 PSI boost= 63 PSI fuel. So what do you set the warning too? 63 PSI.. anything below is a warning=spark cut? That means your on spark cut all the time. Like on my gauge I set 70 PSI.. when the needle goes past 70 it turns from red to white display.

I just dont see how to set the warning to do what you want. Unless i'm missing something.. then i'm all ears :D

The Dash from FAST that ties into with the XFI you can setup an air fuel alram.. air fuel goes past 12:1.. or whatever you set it too.. at WOT.. trips an output relay..

I dont know how you could cut spark.. dont think you'd want to do that as killing the engine you lose steering and brakes. At 130 MPH.. that could be very bad. You could actually blow the transmission killing the motor at that speed.

I haven't tried to figure it out yet but there has to be some way this gauge can be integrated to an XFI input. Cutting spark/timing is just a thought, surely don't want to cut fuel...
I am open to suggestions and will be running this across RC tomorrow.

Bryan

with 2 input signals going into the PLC, couldn't you just take the two signal voltages and subtract them from each other in the computer/warning thinger using a formula? that way when the differential voltage is too high (you could maybe set a threshold) you would get an audible sound from the computer? I know the PL doesn't have any outputs, but on and aftermarket ECU I can imagine this would be very possible.

on my other tuner/logger in my '99s you are able to set warnings and play sounds when certain conditions are met. Powerlogger allows for warning on the knock gauge in the scan window doesn't it? (i'm not intimately familiar with how the inner workings of the PL are set up)

I remember working on "subtraction" circuits in one of my courses at school... I would think you could do something like that. we need some electrical engineers that practically breathe this stuff.

and yes, the transducers would be the most costly parts.

Basically two transducers lets say 100 PSI each. One monitoring intake boost and one monitoring fuel psi. Both signals fed into a comparator activated once the motor goes into boost. Any difference in the rise will trip the alarm.

Probably be a 300.00 item with electronics and transducers. then hope the OP responds to the alarm :D

Basically two transducers lets say 100 PSI each. One monitoring intake boost and one monitoring fuel psi. Both signals fed into a comparator activated once the motor goes into boost. Any difference in the rise will trip the alarm.

Probably be a 300.00 item with electronics and transducers. then hope the OP responds to the alarm :D

Comparator??? Okay Julio whatever it is I'll take one. LOL, sound like it would be a nice time for John (Caspers) or Bob Baily to chime in...

I make a Nitrous controller for one of the bigger Nitrous places, and it has a leanout failsafe.

I would think that something like that along with the Delta-P failsafe for fuel and boost would be a cool idea.

Hmmmmm....

I have a few ideas.

Bob

I make a Nitrous controller for one of the bigger Nitrous places, and it has a leanout failsafe.

I would think that something like that along with the Delta-P failsafe for fuel and boost would be a cool idea.

Hmmmmm....

I have a few ideas.

Bob

Couldn't you build this in to PLC if you already have the pressure transducers?

I could make the measurements, but the PLC has no outputs to control anything.

I could make the laptop beep though....

Bob

I could make the measurements, but the PLC has no outputs to control anything.

I could make the laptop beep though....

Bob

Laptop beeping is at least somewhat in the right direction. Although I never leave my laptop in my car for just cruising around waiting for a Z-06 to just so happen to be next to me at the red light. I'd really like to see this work like a audible knock detector though, just so it's not nessesary to have to run the laptop each and every time I fire up my car. Thanks for the input though and changes you can or will make.

This is what I have done. I have a xd16 gauge and lma-3 aux box, so when the fuel psi drops under boost the gauge flashes. SImple and works well.