You can type here any text you want

FUEl PUMP/CONVERTER QUESTIONS

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

maverick

I have a 274 c.i. that I will be running a 88 or 90 series turbo on. My questions are as follows:

I have an 8" Coan converter 3500 stahl, will it be reliable if I were to have it cut open and revamped to a 4200 stahl speed? Anyone have any troubles? and would you know a rough cost to do this?

I am also ready to order my fuel pump, I was originally going to order a Weldon pump, but I heard a Barry Grant would be good too as well as $150 cheaper, is a Barry Grant pump suitable to run fuel injection? Or should I just stick to the Weldon?

Who makes the best intercooler for my application? cam has about .700 lift 278 duration, 160lb injectors, 90mm throttle body, Buick stg II intake, hoping to get around 1200-1300 h.p. (eventually).

Any recommendations, and/or advice will be greatly appreciated!

I don't see why the convertor wouldn't be reliable if it was re-stalled. I can't imagine it being much less than 300 bucks to re-stall yours when you consider shipping expenses.

I'd go with the Weldon pump. It's not cheap but I haven't heard of any complaints.

man, if you need to save $150 on a fuel pump, you are in the wrong league!

Be careful with the 8 inch conveter if you start making 1200 plus hp. You may over power the conveter and burn it up.
Most of the guys racing turbo cars go with a 10 pro mod like Neil Chance.

Hey Ted, thanks for your input, I am going to try the 8" and see what happens, if it doesn't, what the heck, aint like I haven't broke anything before, ha,ha.

as far as Woody, goes, take a hike! I'm not some 18 year old punk working at mcDonalds trying to piece my car together. With a 6 digit income I can afford anything I want, my phrase about a pump being $150 cheaper implies is the Weldon pump worth the cost versus what it puts out. Or for the buck what will give me the best performance. So save your little put downs for the punks in your own neighborhood. I'll set a league for you to follow!

I was pondering that idea John, i am just worried about spool up due to the large cam I will be running, my cam size may increase still not totally set on it yet, just trying to be a little different rather than doing what "everyone else" does. It may work or it may turn out to be a joke of a motor, time will tell so will the time slips, he,he. After all, you never know unless you try.
Thanks again guys for your experienced input!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mav,

First of all what is your real name???

2nd I think I found you an interesting option on the fuel pump.
Check out this from Aeromotive. I think they are around $350.
If you want shoot me an email.

Billet Belt Driven Pump, P/N 11105

For high horsepower EFI, mechanical fuel injection, carbureted (blown, turbocharged or nitrous) powerplants running any fuel.

The pump will support from 350 to over 2500 horsepower, flowing more than 2700 lbs. per hour @ 100 PSI. This pump was designed for the Serious Enthusiast.

Able to produce anywhere from 2 to 200 PSI.
Supports 6 second drag cars whether they are: Fuel Injected (Electronic or Mechanical) Carbureted, Blown, Turbocharged or Nitrous assisted.
The last pump you will need, whether you are running gas or alcohol.
Billet CNC Machined body..."not cast"
-10 AN inlet and outlet ports.
Compact size facilitates easy mounting.

Does not include Bracket and Cog Pulley (see Bolt-On Systems for those options)

Woody taking a hike??

Woody, sounds like you should not be making attempts at dry humor!!
"stahl" makes headers, not converters!!
Sounds like you are on an ego trip.. who gives a $hit if you make a 15 digit income.....
As for "the league" you are about to set.. it's already out there.. called the bush league, and you are the commissioner!! How's that??

my point was, I don't think you should even consider pinching pennies on a fuel system....get the best you can and to hell with the cost.....at least that's the way us 'po folk would do it

so maybe you should have just asked what is the best.....since we now all know you can afford it!

ps.....take a look at Jay C's post about "Meankidsracing" to see how it can be done

Ah....... Chuck, lets see, I guess I will just let your name sum you up........OLD GEEZER. Take another nitrous pill you old fart, you cant hang with this.

And as far as your comment goes Woody, thanks for your reply, sounds a bit nicer, I'm about being smart with my money, not just buying the biggest most expensive parts, If i wanted an ego trip, thats what I would do, so that I could say I spent $80,000 on my car, NOT! My point was simple, I make a fair amount of cash, and I want to be a wise spender. I just want the best performance parts for the money, thats all.
Thanks again for clearing it up Woody! cheers!

NITROUS PILL!!!

MAV!! I take nitroglycerine pills, NOT NITROUS!!
Guess you are still stuck on the "stahl converter" lingo!!
Suggest you spend some of your 6 figure income and go back to grammar school!!:D :D :D

Guys,

There are ways of spending less and still getting what you need.
A weldon 2035 is about $700. There 2 newer units that are more expensive. The new aeromotive belt driven pump is about $400 and has gone 6.4 @ 220mph in Chuck Samuel/ CKevin Marsh's turbo mustang. My point is that it is cheaper and will flow more.

Chuck,

I was dreaming about your yellow car the other night.
That thing was beautiful.

This thread is killing me man !!!

I can't stop laughing!

Are you really an old fart, Chuck?

Where is Steve W speaking of old farts?

LOL!!

New sig!!

Ted, Steve Y. Since "Mav", aka Bob, aka Rob, may have had the smartz to look at my profile, see when I was born, and came to the "profound conclusion" I am, in fact, An Old Geezer; I have added the "nitrous pills" to my signature!!!:D :D

Mav, Bob, Rob, et al, I did take your comments to "heart"..;) ;) ;)

Have a great day and may we meet and see if your 15 digit income, in fact, translated into a fast car!! Don't forget the "liscence plate"!!!:D :D :D

Chuck, no I didn't look at your profile, it doesnt interest me that much. You can call me anything but late for dinner. I was doing short hand on the nitrous pill, oh crap I forgot, you old farts need the whole damn word spelled out. My mistake, oh crap, was that your cane I just ran over?!?!?!? Chuck, you need to keep that thing picked up, I know alzheimers is a BITCH, but cmon, you can do it! And damn it get my income right, its a 6 digit, not 15, or are the cornea's in your eye's so hard everything looks blurry anymore?? keep those tri-focals handy.:D ;)

Ok Im done, lol, no more cheap shots, ha,ha. I do however have a serious question, I have a -8 fuel feed line now, should I goto a -10 or will the -8 feed enough " volume" to the motor?

Chuck---------its all in fun, dont take offense, like ppl say, if you cant take it, dont dish it out.

The Aeromotive pump is looking good to me. I also bought a 16 gallon fuel cell w/ the GM sending unit, will the sending unit work with my cars wiring? I know the buicks are GM but I just glanced at the sending unit wire mounts and there seems to be like 3 or 4 spots for wires?? I dont know anyone who has a fuel cell in one of these so its not like I can go check one out.

PUMPZ??

Mav, no offense taken!! I think some folks got a laff at us shooting at each other!!
i have spent alot of time on the fone w/ the Aeromotive guys.
I use the eliminator pump,Pt # 11104, filter, pt # 12304 reg, pt# 13109 and have it plumbed as follows;
-12 to the first filter, a 100 micron, pt#12604, to keep the dead moostwangs out of the pump,;) , then -12 on to the pump.. Out of the pump to a check valve w/ -10, pt#15107, to the 10 micron filter, to the "Y" block, then 2 -8's to the rails. I use the returns as -6 to the reg from both rail rear outlets, then -8 to the tank...
You can call the tech guy at Aeromotive and he'll do all the math for you.. His name is Brett Clow 816-333-7300.
HTH,
CU round!!:D
When you get that POS runnin, come on down and we'll open up a can of good ol southern "woopass" on ya!!!:D :D J/K!!

This is a great thread! I love it. When I see a thread like this, I always wonder if the guy firing the gatling gun can has gotten his 8 second car out of the 12s yet.

Ted, unlike some, I read before I argue. :)

Call me??

You can call me Rob, you can call me Bob, but you can't call me late for dinner!!
In response to your last "blast" of disrespect for the elderly, Below is my response::rolleyes:
There are those that need a cane and bi-focals.. I'm to the bi-focal level as of now.
HOWEVER, there are those that tell me you are the most talented guy they know that works w/ BUICKS. They say you have the talent to take that 8 sec car and put it right in the mid 12's!! NOW THAT'S TALENT.. and that's in an 1/8th too!! :D :D

As for my vision.. I have a god given compensation for poor sight, touch. I have an innate ability to release the tranny brake at an exactly correct instant!!! This is called "blowing your friggin doors off!!! You wanta race an old man?? Come on down!!

Note: I have attempted to keep the statements simple.. so you won't have to go back to grammar school... only driving school!!!
Suggest you call Frank Hawley and make an appt... He's going to be in Columbus soon!!:p :p That alone, could get you to the low 12's!!

Hey, what did you decide w/ the fuel system?? Being I'm blind, I can use the braile system and help, if you can get it done!!

"C"YA!

Old fogy in the LOW 10's!!

Back