You can type here any text you want

Fuel Pump Upgrade Hot Wire Harness - Question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tommy

Hi all,

I have a stock 87 grand national and want to upgrade the fuel pump harness (Hot wire) so that I get the optimum voltage to the fuel pump. My question is:

- will the incremental voltage shorten the life of the pump?

- I understand that on the kit instructions it says "be sure to reset your fuel pump pressure regulator, increased voltage to the pump will raise base fuel pressure"

As mentioned; the engine is all stock and the fuel pressure regulator is non-adjustable (made by Bosh) so is really necessary that I switch it out for an adjustable one for this reason?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Tommy

Do you plan on running a Turbo Tweek chip in the future? If so, you can simply upgrade your stock Bosch FPR to a Bosch 237 regulator. This will bump up the pressure to the proper operating range for the new chip & still appear stock. If you like the looks of an adjustable FPR there are plenty to choose from.

I would think that under voltage conditions would be more harmful to the pump.

What Hotwire Kit are you using? I'm partial to the kit that Racetronix offers.

~JM~

By installing a hotwire kit you are not raising the voltage that your alternator puts out , you are making sure that you don't lose voltage to the pump during high demand due to inadquate factory wiring & poor connections. So, no you will not shorten the life of the pump by hotwiring it . As far as FP regulators go put a test gauge on the end of the rail and see if your FP is where it should be ( stock nonadjustable regulator , 40psi line off , 33psi line on @ idle as per Vortex Buicks) if not get an adjustable regulator. One other thing, go to Vortex Buicks and read , read , read , great info there. :) Sam

Will the incremental voltage shorten the life of the pump?

Is it really necessary that I switch it out for an adjustable one for this reason?

Fuel pumps love more voltage and even If it did hurt the pump in the future,your #1 reason for installing the hot wire is to protect the motor from detonation from a lean condition caused by a pump that couldn't put out enough volume. If you don't install the hot wire,you increases your chances of hurting the turbo and/or head gaskets. All you have to do is ask yourself "which one would I rather replace?" I'd rather replace the pump,and that's probably going to happen in the future anyway if it's stock.

When you install the pump,the pressure probably won't change.If it does it won't be alot. You should take note of the pressure before and after the install via a gauge so you know for sure.

If you find yourself in a situation where you need more pressure you can squeeze the top and bottom of your regulator closer together with a large pair of adjustable pliers.This procedure isn't reversible.

Install the hot wire.

Thanks for the info JM and the others below that have responded to my question. I will buy myself a fuel pressure gauge and note the before and after fuel psi, the hot wire kit that I bought was from Kirban Performance made by Caspers Electronics. I bought from Kirban because they had their Christmas special and I like dealing with them.

Tommy

I installed a Caspers unit and it is first class, easy to install and bullit proof...good selection.

Back