You can type here any text you want

Fuel pump upgrade questions.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbota633

First of all i tried searching the topic, but for some reason the search tool didn't work, so here i am. My TTA has these mods: 009's, TA-49. adj. fpr, adj. wastegate, RJC boost controller, RJC Powerplate....soon will have SMC Alky kit and Turbotweak chip, fuel pump is stock. I see all the time in people's signature block for their mods that people have a Walbro 340, or 307...my first question is whats the difference, or which is better considering my mods? next question is what other fuel pumps besides the Walbro's do people use and would recommend to someone else to use? Thanks for any help

-Joe

The Walbro 340 flows more than the 307. The 340 is the pump of choice. Holy makes a good pump as well as Bosch, but Walbro's seem to be the prefer one for Turbo Buick guys. Holy is prefered over on the F-body boards, not sure why. I always go with Walbro.

If you are going Alky, you may not need the pump. The stock pump is pretty good. I believe that is a 190 liter pump. Many have gone mid 11s on that pump. Then the alky kit is another fuel source on top of that. I would use your scan tool at the track to determine if you need a pump or not. The pump iteself is cheap. but putting it in is another story. Just wanted to save you a headache if it turned out you did not need the pump. But if you get a pump, go with the Walbro 340.

no way would I run an original pump :rolleyes: .... when they were new fine but not after all these years .. put a 340 in it and forget it :cool:

Grumpy said:
no way would I run an original pump :rolleyes: .... when they were new fine but not after all these years .. put a 340 in it and forget it :cool:

I did not think age bothered pumps? Do you think a pump on a garage queen would need to be replaced?

Sweet6 said:
I did not think age bothered pumps? Do you think a pump on a garage queen would need to be replaced?
I considered the cost of my 340 from Mike Licht as insurance for the rest of my investment in the TTA....:)

Cheap insurance.

True. I decided to roll the dice. My car had plenty of fuel for 110MPH in the 1/4 with 50lb injectors. I did not feel like paying a shop or spending a day on my back swapping the pump. My car gets floored maybe a handful of times a year. I figured I would rely on my scantools and knock sensor instead.

Hey Grumpy,
I will buy the pump and hotwire kit and drop the car off at your house. :biggrin:

2QUIK6 said:
The Walbro 340 flows more than the 307. The 340 is the pump of choice. Holy makes a good pump as well as Bosch, but Walbro's seem to be the prefer one for Turbo Buick guys. Holy is prefered over on the F-body boards, not sure why. I always go with Walbro.
hehe, the holy pump...it will never wear out :) I meant Holley...must have been half asleep this Monday morning :D

Sweet6 said:
Hey Grumpy,
I will buy the pump and hotwire kit and drop the car off at your house. :biggrin:

I did just replace the stock one in the TTA I just got .. I'd rather waste a day and a $100 rather than 3-4 months and a $4-5K motor bill :p

I have been following Grumpy's advice on the TTA. "if not running faster than high 11s, leave it alone." So far so good. :biggrin: I am right on the brink of that and no issues. Alky kit going on next.

But I agree $100 for a pump is cheaper than a motor. But my scan tools have not recorded lean conditions yet. 02s do not go below 780 on 110MPH runs. And no knock. FP is at 42PSI with 50s.

I just did mine about a Month ago at my friends shop in Northeast Phila, and YEP even with the lift it took about 5 hours :eek: - Jesus what a job, I can scarcly imagine doing it on the Ground - first off theres NO WAY you could get the car high enough!
The only GOOD thing is that it came apart SO easily as it's practically NEW under there :biggrin:

anyone have any input on the racetronix setup? --http://www.racetronix.com/Racetronix-TTA_Pump_Kit.html

turbota633 said:
anyone have any input on the racetronix setup? --http://www.racetronix.com/Racetronix-TTA_Pump_Kit.html
That was the kit I installed on my '95 TA, very nice kit, came with everything and no splicing of any kind. Even came with new battery terminal bolts and ground kit.

thanks for the input, and thanks to all for the helpful responses. the racetronix kit is en route, yesterday my friend and i installed my RJC powerplate, i removed my Turbotweak 100 octane race gas chip, will be sending it back for reoprogramming with alcohol inj. i have the SMC kit, the old one, not progressive style...took it off of my GN before i sold it a while back and plan to put it on the TTA soon. Can someone please help refresh my memory, the FP should be at 43-ish vac.line off..or line on? and i've heard the term static reading, referring to the line off or on, which is it? mine is at 39-line off, but maybe i turned it down too much when i swapped my Red Armstrong 93 chip in yesterday so i couls send my TT chip back for rerprogramming. Thanks.

-Joe

turbota633 said:
thanks for the input, and thanks to all for the helpful responses. the racetronix kit is en route, yesterday my friend and i installed my RJC powerplate, i removed my Turbotweak 100 octane race gas chip, will be sending it back for reoprogramming with alcohol inj. i have the SMC kit, the old one, not progressive style...took it off of my GN before i sold it a while back and plan to put it on the TTA soon. Can someone please help refresh my memory, the FP should be at 43-ish vac.line off..or line on? and i've heard the term static reading, referring to the line off or on, which is it? mine is at 39-line off, but maybe i turned it down too much when i swapped my Red Armstrong 93 chip in yesterday so i couls send my TT chip back for rerprogramming. Thanks.

-Joe
The fp is always measured with line off at idle. That is essentially at 0 pressure...no vac to pull it down and no boost to push it up. The fp with line on can vary greatly from car to car depending on motor health and cam wear.

Back