Fuel question

Nelson Ramos

I have an 86 Buick just got it started after 18 years sitting. I changed the fuel tank and fuel pump . Does anybody I think I should add any type of injector cleaner in the fuel? any suggestions?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Flush your old gas out of the lines and add some ethanol and see what happens. Though I think lucas fuel treatment is the best around I really think it does little in the way of cleaning the injectors. Most of them just shorten the life of the cat. And if it still has the stock maf tube check it for cracks. They love to dry rot. Good luck!

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

hi, I also just got an 86 T that has sat for years. Found a garage work order in the paperwork that said the comp chip was changed and 40psi fuel pump and the volt booster but the injectors were never changed. still stock. what injectors should go in and would there be any real change in power?

An injector change will require another chip change. Injector sizing basically depends on what you want to do with your car. That being said, 60# injectors will take you a long way and getting that comp chip out of there and installing a newer chip like the Turbo Tweak chips is the most popular way to go. Turbo Tweak even has a package deal with the chip and injectors.

An injector change will require another chip change. Injector sizing basically depends on what you want to do with your car. That being said, 60# injectors will take you a long way and getting that comp chip out of there and installing a newer chip like the Turbo Tweak chips is the most popular way to go. Turbo Tweak even has a package deal with the chip and injectors.
Turbo tweak chip is better then the ra93? Is there any special setting up from a computer or anything and the volt boost stays the same?
Does the eng have to be tuned to run right or are these drop in and go parts?

Last edited:
Turbo tweak chip is better then the ra93? Is there any special setting up from a computer or anything and the volt boost is still necessary?

TT is better on the street than the RA chip. And go with 80's. They are currently the biggest you can use with stock injector drivers so might as well leave yourself room to grow. There are no downsides to them vs anything smaller.

The chip will be a straight install but you will need a scantool or better yet a scanmaster to access the chip tuning functions, but then you should already have a scanmaster ;)

The chip will be a straight install but you will need a scantool or better yet a scanmaster to access the chip tuning functions, but then you should already have a scanmaster ;)
I have had a Genisys scantool with a 4 channel scope for a few years but not a scanmaster as I have just got the car.
also is there a book that says where and how to adjust for the parameters you are looking for or is that just thru years of tinkering and learning thru all these reports, quotes and replies from the knowledgable guys as your self?

I have had a Genisys scantool with a 4 channel scope for a few years but not a scanmaster as I have just got the car.
also is there a book that says where and how to adjust for the parameters you are looking for or is that just thru years of tinkering and learning thru all these reports, quotes and replies from the knowledgable guys as your self?

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
http://www.gnttype.org/

You're welcome.

Reading everything you can on those two sites will not be a wasted effort. The scanmaster will give you real time data that is invaluable for keeping your car alive and running. The parameters I was referring to were the custom chip parameters and can be found in the literature included with the chip.

Reading everything you can on those two sites will not be a wasted effort. The scanmaster will give you real time data that is invaluable for keeping your car alive and running. The parameters I was referring to were the custom chip parameters and can be found in the literature included with the chip.
I understand. Thank you!

The scanmaster is an onboard scantool that wires into the ALDL port under the radio and allows real time measurement of a variety of engine parameters. The powerlogger allows you to record data from a run and view it on your laptop later. Both are very handy tools as the scanmaster can help you see sensor outputs like coolant temp and battery voltage, give you an indication of AFR, and most importantly let you know about knock retard. The powerlogger will let you see what the other parameters are doing when you are tuning and help others help you sort out tuning issues you may be struggling with. It will also allow you to log your boost, fuel pressure, and AFR provided you have the other addons to measure these parameters. I believe the manuals are out there for download on vendors sites so you can read more about the features of each.

The scanmaster is an onboard scantool that wires into the ALDL port under the radio and allows real time measurement of a variety of engine parameters. The powerlogger allows you to record data from a run and view it on your laptop later. Both are very handy tools as the scanmaster can help you see sensor outputs like coolant temp and battery voltage, give you an indication of AFR, and most importantly let you know about knock retard. The powerlogger will let you see what the other parameters are doing when you are tuning and help others help you sort out tuning issues you may be struggling with. It will also allow you to log your boost, fuel pressure, and AFR provided you have the other addons to measure these parameters. I believe the manuals are out there for download on vendors sites so you can read more about the features of each.
Man, I have so much to learn!
Thank you

Man, I have so much to learn!

Honestly that is one of the best parts. These cars can be quirky but every problem you solve and get behind you really does make you better at understanding this stuff and gives you a feeling of accomplishment. When I first got my car I read every cool part manual and forum build thread I could find to get ideas and came here to post my build questions. Even after all that reading I still missed some stuff that is obvious to me now.