You can type here any text you want

Full of HOT AIR!!!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

DaJoker

DUMB QUESTION MEMBER
I am trying to see if there is anything, besides changing thermostats, that can cool the temp of the air intake. I have an 8 inch K&N and I think a stock thermostat and my IAT reads 127-140 degrees. It is hot down in the south but DANG!!!! Could a clogged intercooler have anything to do with it??? Any help will be appreciated. PS Even with the coolant temp around 170 the air temp is still in the 120-130's.

Intercooler has nothing to do with the stock IAT. The one you have reads the air coming in the MAF.

Jason

Maybe a cooling fan thats not working??? Do they both run at the same time???

you will nvr get it lower than that unless you get a Cold Air intake,to get the air infront of the radiator,you dont cool your house with the windows open do you ... :eek: :eek:

No, only one at a time. It shouldnt matter though if the coolant is 170. 170 is normal.

Jason

BandAid said:
you will nvr get it lower than that unless you get a Cold Air intake,to get the air infront of the radiator,you dont cool your house with the windows open do you ... :eek: :eek:

Yeah...in the winter!! :tongue: :tongue:

That sensor is on the airfilter. So it reads underhood temps.

So what if it reads 140 at idle or 150.. read the sensor at 80 MPH.. bet it reads ambient.

HTH

Razor said:

So what if it reads 140 at idle or 150.. read the sensor at 80 MPH.. bet it reads ambient.

HTH

I don't think I've had the car to 80mph yet!!! :tongue: :tongue: I just asked because looking at other cars that posted their scanmaster numbers their iat was at 97 with 170degrees for coolant. I just had it on the interstate and it still reads around 120 degrees but I've yet to change the thermostat. Besides I just waxed an S-2000 and I didn't even make to 80..hell I think I may've hit 50 and he was already telling his girlfriend sob stories...

Kma697 said:
I am trying to see if there is anything, besides changing thermostats, that can cool the temp of the air intake. I have an 8 inch K&N and I think a stock thermostat and my IAT reads 127-140 degrees. It is hot down in the south but DANG!!!! Could a clogged intercooler have anything to do with it??? Any help will be appreciated. PS Even with the coolant temp around 170 the air temp is still in the 120-130's.
Take a drive to Colorado or Wyoming....I guarantee 50 degrees cooler air on any given Fall day. ;)

For a moment there, I thought your post would need to be moved to the political forum (your reference to 'hot air').... ;)

A 160 degree Stat might help a little...

Razor said:

HTH
I'll take that bet ,mine never read anywhere near ambient,course It did on my astroroof car since I had a homemade CAI..you willing to put up money.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Kma697 said:
I don't think I've had the car to 80mph yet!!! :tongue: :tongue: I just asked because looking at other cars that posted their scanmaster numbers their iat was at 97 with 170degrees for coolant. I just had it on the interstate and it still reads around 120 degrees but I've yet to change the thermostat. Besides I just waxed an S-2000 and I didn't even make to 80..hell I think I may've hit 50 and he was already telling his girlfriend sob stories...

I posted the sensor is located at the airfilter. Not the inside of the intake manifold. so your IAT(Intake Air Temp) is not being read when the sensor is 4 feet away from the intake.

On the subject of scantools.. better keep an eye on that knock when pounding on the pedal.. or very bad things can happen really quick.

HTH

http://turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194104

My bad, sometimes I show my ignorance on here!! I was referring to the ATS, I just replaced my IAT and I guess that was stuck in my mind last nite along with a few too many Bud Lites :redface: !!! Its the ATS I'm referring to, mine reads high compared to the one above as well as others I've seen. Mine is always above 120 degrees. Boy do I feel like a dumbass now!!!

When do you read yours? If that guy read his in the garage it will be less than reading it when it's 100 degrees out at a stoplight.

Jason

I drive around with that showing on my scanmaster. I drove around for an hour or two last nite and it was never less than 120. The outside temp wasn't too bad, it was a fairly cool nite considering my location. PS It's higher when I'm driving in the heat although thats fairly obvious. My coolant temp stayed in the 160 to 175 range.

Kma697 said:
http://turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194104

My bad, sometimes I show my ignorance on here!! I was referring to the ATS, I just replaced my IAT and I guess that was stuck in my mind last nite along with a few too many Bud Lites :redface: !!! Its the ATS I'm referring to, mine reads high compared to the one above as well as others I've seen. Mine is always above 120 degrees. Boy do I feel like a dumbass now!!!

I said IAT not IAC.

IAT=MAT your gonna hate yourself even more now. :D

Manifold Air Temp=Inatke Air Temp.. okay????

Watch that knock.. thats the one that will keep you from blowing a head gasket. The MAT/IAT doesnt do anything for performance..

Ok.. heres the fix.. take the hood off the car ;)

I was thinking of punching a few holes in there!!! :eek: I will just leave the car sitting up during the summer months and then bring it out when its cold!!! Easy fix right??? PS I mentioned IAT(not IAC??)...cuz I had just replaced it when I broke the original putting in the K and N, it was listed by Gyrheads as internal air temp sensor part #213-190??? :confused:

You'll get better performance waxing your antenna than worrying about what that IAT/MAT sensor reads.

Back