FWD to RWD conversion

jmidolo

Sexy MF Joe
Anyone ever do a FWD to RWD conversion? I'm thinking of attempting such a project and looking for advice, what worked, what didn't etc...I already have in mind the car I want to convert and found one locally that looks decent. Thinking of using a GTA as a donor car for front and rear clip...anyone?

This is a BIG job. Basically, you build a rolling chassis (typically square tube frame for street) and set a body on top of it. In the middle of doing a '66 cuda with a Viper v-10 this way.

Getting the donor car is a good idea...at least you'll have all the chassis etc...

If you can't weld, forget it...

That is an enormous undertaking. You basically would be building it like they build Pro Stock chassis. As someone said, you would have to build a separate tube chassis and install it under the body of the car you want to use. The idea of using GTA stuff is not a real slick idea. Even though the front subframe bolts on, the GTA front supsension requires the frame rails to locate the steering box and idler arms. The rails are part of the GTA unibody. The rear frame rails are also part of the unibody and do not unbolt. If you really want to under take something like this, I would start getting the Chris Alston catalog or the Art Morrison and see if they can build you a frame. Another option is using C4 Corvette suspension pieces since they unbolt as complete units.

Good info GNVAIR...we're using the morrison + c4 suspension for the 66 cuda....sounds like you've done it before.

Yeah, I have sat down and did the research for myself and a few friends. Its a lot of time and $$$
Mostly $$$ though.