G body dash swap advice

just plain john

El Camino a Go-Go!
I've obtained a TR dash that I'm swapping out with my 81 El Camino dash. I already have the under dash harness and fuse bolck from the drivetrain donor GN. If anyone could offer advice I'd like to hear it. The dash donor was console shifted, as was the drivetrain donor (I think). The elco was column shifted, and the e brake was on the drivers kick panel, with a dash mounted release handle. Has anyone else done this already?

I have not done a swap of this nature but I do have a cluster from a column shifted turbo car that I would be willing to part with if you decide you need it.

Thanks, but the cluster is not the real issue. The e brake functionality is. I can put a floor shifter on it, but not the e brake release. Because the car is over 25 years old it no longer has to pass emissions or even an underhood inspection, but without an e brake I cannot pass the state inspection. Can you post some pics of your cluster? Front and back, showing any connectors please.

both the gn and elky have the same emergency brake pedal, and the release go on exactly the same. The tabs on the firewall will have to be removed, and moved over to the other tabs that are free on there. Put the wireharness on the dash with the 7mm screws before you mount the dash, makes it easier. Do a dry run without the wiring harness before to make sure you put the tabs in the right place. The e-brake will go right into place on the gn dash. Console shifted or column shifted does'nt make a difference. The column shifter will work just fine. Only difference it works off the shifter bar on the column in the engine compartment instead of the shifter cable and bracket. The column lever works as the security/safety to keep the car in park unless the key is turned on, so its there with the floor shifter anyways.

I'll post some pics of both tomorrow, but they are not the same. The elco dash has a recess for rhte release handle, the TR dash does not. I just got in this evening and don't have time to post up.

John,

I will dig it out and get some pics of it for you tomorrow. I actually just started on the Monte again. It is coming along well. I will get a post up here later tonight!

Scott

I'd be interested to see them. Not much progress on mine since I bought the rear end from you. Working alot on post Ike repair in Galveston, but I hope to pick it up again soon.

Tell me about it. I may be in over my head here, and I have no close friends who are into cars. I said yesterday I'd post pics of the two dashes in regards to the e brake, but until the old lady gets back I can't find the usb cord. I will get them posted today, just later today.

dude, the elky and the gn have the same e brake. Just put the dash on, and the cable will hook right up. absolutely no issues with that. I was intimidated with wiring too, but i've put in a few dashes now, and the different wiring harness in the elky from the 79 to 87 harness, then to the gn harness. As long as you have the dash harness, and the engine compartment harness, its all plug and play. Put up some pics of your progress, maybe I can walk you through some of it.

Here's a comparison of the two. Looks like I'll need that little black piece.

Attachments

• e brake 001.JPG
    e brake 001.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 224
  • e brake 002.JPG
    e brake 002.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 238
  • e brake 003.JPG
    e brake 003.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 236
so the buick dash did not come with the handle then. Or it was broken. No biggie. Somebody on here will have one hanging out. but you do not have to modify anything to the brake. You just put the pull handle on the dash, and hook it up to the brake.
where is that blue dash from? is it from a 78-80? doesn't look familiar. I'm on my way out to my car to look at mine! brb

just looked. Maybe its just the angle of your pics, but regardless. You just need a new pull handle for that blue dash, thats all. Now I see why you were confused.

Thanks, man. I appreciate your effort. Got your pm. When I go in with the new one I'll call you, but first I need to dye the blue one.

cool, it just must be the angle of that picture. Thats what I figured anyways. You'll be alright:cool: