g-tech pro?

87gnstock

Bigger isn't better!
Anyone ever used or heard of these b4? I was looking at getting one but i haven't heard anything about them good or bad. I would like anyone's input they can give me

I have never used one personly, but a couple of the guys that come in here have them, they say they are mostly accurate.

From what I understand, what they lack in accuracy, they make up for in consistency. They are supposably a great tuning tool because of the consistency.

I've had one for a couple of years now. It is pretty accurate with ETs. I ran it at the track along side the track timers and it was typically about 1/10 slower than the dragstrip timers. Mostly due to the rollout that you can get before you break the beam at the dragstrip where this device starts the instant the car moves. MPH though is a different story. The g-tech is about 3-4 MPH high in cars that trap 100-110, and 6-7 mph high on cars that trap up to 120. Nobody seems to have an accurate reason as to why, my theory is that if the sample rate of the unit were higher like the more expensive vericom or similar, it would be more accurate with the speed. I mostly use it to learn how to drive the car for best ET and to evaluate any changes that I do to the car like upping boost, fuel, changing parts, etc....

The reason for the higher mph readings is that the g-tech takes its mph reading at the instant you hit the end of the quarter mile mark. At the track, the mph is averaged at the end of the last 60 feet I think it is. Therefore the speed the g-tech gets will always be higher than a trap at the track.
I use mine to tune, since the is no track anywhere nearby. It is consistant as long as IT IS LEVEL. Without being level, it wont give you squat.
I should rent mine out. Everyone around me keeps borrowing the darned thing, I coulda made some dough off it :D

I have one and like it. You have to make sure you get the car weight put in correctly or it throws everything off. When your out at 3 in the morning and decide to throw down a run in the middle of nowhere atleast you can get a time for it. :D

There is a new advanced model out now too. I just saw it in the latest Summit sale catalog. It has some sort of graphic display and runs about 329 to 349, If I remember right. Forgive me for the lack of details, I didn't pay much attention to it.

I have one. At the track, it was no more than .06 seconds off from the timeslip in 4 runs. SilverSleeper, hit the nail on the head with the reason the mph is higher. In actuallity, if you set up the g-tech properly it is more accurate than the track. The G-tech starts timing as soon as you move. The track doesn't start timing until the 2nd beam is broken. The g-tech also give you the actual mph that you cross the 1/4 mile line rather than an average of the last 60'.