Gas Crisis of 1975 will be here in the Summer

Yeah.....

Been looking into an ECU reprogram. This thing is PIG rich under boost over 4000 RPM, probably some safety factor.

A reprogram moves the boost from 12.5 up to 15.5, adjusts timing to use 93 octane all the time, and leans it out some on the big end.

Cost is $325!!!!!

$1000 will get me a downpipe without a CAT, (3 cats on this car??? WTF???? Low emissions crap) - some intercooler hoses, and an ECM reprogram.....

That will get me 250HP to the wheels up from 170 stock. AWD uses a lot of juice......

The nice thing is , I run it pretty hard and STILL get just over 20MPG average. Unbelievable.

Originally posted by tjthorson
Oil companies are smart. They find the threshold of pain, and ride that number as best they can.

Oil is a worldwide commodity sold on the commodities market. (That is why you can buy oil futures.) The oil companies can no more control the price of oil than cattle farmers can control the price of beef. If they could control the price they would not have the severe boom/bust employment cycles that industry is saddled with.

Price spikes are mostly a function of supply and demand and are also sometimes caused by panics in the futures market. And, to a lesser extent, price swings are also government mandated.

Everyone thinks the oil companies raise their prices every summer for the "driving season". In fact, that is due to the EPA mandated use of summer formulation gas in many parts on the country. Come winter, same thing... switch back to winter gas. So twice a year the refineries have to convert to making a different product. That is an expense that naturally gets passed on to the consumer. But it's more fun to think the oil companies are raising prices just because they can.

Finally... and this is scary. On the demand side we've pretty much had it our way. The U.S. is the biggest energy consumer by far but we've been able to keep our prices low due to most other highly industralized countries taxing oil much more heavily thereby keeping a lid on their usage. But... Chinese demand is now beginning to become significant and is growing at a very rapid rate. It doesn't take a genius to see the effect on the demand side of the equation when, in say 10-20 years, Chinese industry and consumerism really start to kick in.

Lump of clay?! If that's what you think, then please, by all means, come on down here!! :eek:

Lump of clay?! If that's what you think, then please, by all means, come on down here!!

I figured by your name, you were a Gigglesnort Hotel fan....

Guess not, ignore my post.... :D

Originally posted by tjthorson
I figured by your name, you were a Gigglesnort Hotel fan....

Nope. But I am a big fan of really old monster movies! :cool:

It's 4 degrees here tonight. Can't someone point a finger over there and let bye gone be bye gones?? PAVE IT ALL IN IRAQ and let the left overs be taxi drivers or tree huggers??:D

when i worked in a garage that happened to sell gas, the price was about 1.09, this was in 1998 or so, of that 1.09 75 cents of it went to taxes, and only 34 of it was actual price of gas, think about that, if gas was only 25 cents a gallon, and about 6 cents went to the suppier and we made about 3 cents a gallon. the goverment is what makes gas prices high, with the supply economy making the weekly inceases, we made more money offf a snickers then we did off of gas, thats why we ended up closing the pumps, thats why all gas stations have small convience stores, thats where the money is, not the gas.
grant

we're pumping billions of dollars into Iraq,not to mention troops KIA.Lets wring that dump out like a sponge.GWB will say vote for me $1.00 a gal!

Price spikes are mostly a function of supply and demand and are also sometimes caused by panics in the futures market.

Well if this statement is true then I would think the one that controls the supply, ie. the oil companys, could reasonably control the price by scaling back or increasing production. I ain't know durn economics major though. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by turbot2496
Well if this statement is true then I would think the one that controls the supply, ie. the oil companys, could reasonably control the price by scaling back or increasing production.

The majority of crude oil production is controlled by nations (Saudi Arabia & their OPEC friends, Russia, Mexico, etc), not US oil companies.

The majority of crude oil production is controlled by nations (Saudi Arabia & their OPEC friends, Russia, Mexico, etc), not US oil companies.

Yeah, thats what I used to think too. Somebody in the industry recently told me that it was cheaper to actually drill and get the oil over here than it is to buy it from the saudi's or whoever. He told me that the reason the oil companys don't drill much in the US is that there are no oil reserves big enough to mess with other than in alaska. Yeah right. I really didn't believe him anymore than I believe you. Hmmmmm I wonder what industry our current president is involved in. Yeah, they have no control of price...... Yeah right. I have something and you need it and seeming how as you don't have a tanker to go over and get it yourself. Hmmmm would seem to me that I have some control over the price but I'm probably oversimpifying things. Just my opinion and I've been wrong many times before. LOL:D :) :D

Over the last 20 or so years, there has been a doubling of miles driven. But technology, spurned by CAFE standards has kept our oil use nearly even with those earlier years. It was typical for the family stationwagon to get 12 mpg on a good day. Today, even some sport flukes get double that mileage.
Now that our nation is so determined to explode with growth, what will be the technology that off sets the ever increasing miles driven? Also, developing countries are becoming oil consumers. As NAFTA chips away at our wealth, their life will become alittle better, and ours alittle worse. And they will use more oil in doin so.
The $2.oo per gallon average is coming.

I think the obvious answer is that as patriotic Americans, we should all go out and buy Escalades and other unnecessary trucks. :D

No doubt Red Regal. Or just turbo 400 our otherwise overdrived hotrods, so as to get 11 mpg.
I must admit, I do get alittle weird when I see a huge RV that is towing along a freaking Hummer. Too much!

just think of all we are doing to keep the world from a major fuel shortage...... well at least I'm not out driving right now.... If the prices get to crazy we will find another fuel. hydrogen is on it's way my GM brother tell me of very wide spread use in the future and may companys are starting hybrid cars (toyota honda) thats what we should all be using as beaters and the GN's when it's nice.

It's not going to be any Mad Max stuff where we have " the last of the V 8's" and have kill off our neighbors to siphon the gas from there lawn mower.

Originally posted by lburou
We got throught it in 1973, and we'll get through whatever comes today
I used to fly over the tank farms (the big tanks where they store oil and gas). In 1971 and 1972, they were almost empty....During the "crisis" they were full
Its all about hysteria and panic. Don't do either. Make alternate plans to get to and from work and school and the grocery store and you'll be fine

Ex Father in Law, had a yacht, and we could go out and see the Super Tankers waiting to off load.

Supply and demand, if everyone wants to fill up in a panic, then the demand is high, as well as prices.
The Media, is just one arm of Corp America. They do an excellent job of rubbing each others back.

It's amazing, to me, we have to bail out an oil rich country like Iraq, and the next year, wind up in a shortage. If anyone believes this is all coincidence, I hear there's a bridge in Brooklyn for sale.

Again, just my slant on things.