Gas gauge misreading by 1/4 tank??

SpoolinUpGN

Now, i tried the search feature, but for whatever reason if i do more than 1 word it just shows a blank page... and i think "gas" and "gauge" by themselves would be a bit too general. :D

Since dropping out my old, leaking tank and replacing it with the typical tank by spearco or w/e this spring, my gas gauge has been reading wrong. It worked perfect before this change. At the same time as the tank, i swapped out for a hotwired walbro 340 that i bought from Mike at Full Throttle. The car runs fine, and the fuel pump seems to have no problems.

However, if I fill up the car (which i havnt been able to do in a LONG time since if you filled it over 1/2 with the old tank it leaked from small holes around the filler neck) the gas gauge does some weird stuff. For example, it goes up rather than down as you drive it, and i mean 50 miles later the thing is pinned past the F. Then, it will move down to 3/4, go back up, go back down, settle at 1/2, and then eventually a 1/4. The last time i let it get down to a 1/4 i was nervous, so i filled it. She took 18.2 gallons, i think thats a bit off. Any ideas guys?

Thanks in advance,
joe

Did you bend the arm when you removed the hanger from the tank?

Mine reads the opposite, when i fill it at 1/8th tank it takes 13-14 gallons.

BW

I had the same poblem. There is a thread on GNTTYPE.org by as I recall by 84GN which tells you how to fix this. The fuel tank has to be dropped and the contacs on the sending unit need to be cleaned by using an eraser. Do some research and spend some time. Brad

I tried searching for that thread but I'm not coming up with anything right away, if you come across it please link it to this thread! :)

thanks guys, seems like some other people have had this problem where the gauge reads about 1/4 tank more than it actually has :confused:

sorry for robbing the thread, but my guage also doesnt read correctly. it bounces around and goes up and then down and then up again. the thing is, the sending unit is brand new. does this mean that my guage is junk?

I would try and clean the contacts on fuel gauge in the dash. I tried this before I had the sending unit contacts cleaned. I a thought. Brad