Gas prices - Should you buy another car?

Did this file give some insight how things will work?

• Total voters
I have an 8 mpg E85 vehicle and I already knew that going in so gas prices don't bother me. If anyone had a 12 mpg gas vehicle then why would it bother you now vs before??

Buying another vehicle to me for the majority of people is not going to be worth the extra 5-10 mpg you are going to gain by doing it. If you bought a 12mpg SUV then you probably can afford the gas prices.

Here is how I look at the gas issue with my daily driver TSI Talon.
12k miles a year at 18mpg at $3 a gallon = $2000 a year in gas
12k miles a year at 18mpg at $3.5 a gallon = $2333 a year in gas

Here is my American reality check.
Starbucks $4 @ 4 times a week, 52 weeks = $832
Starbucks $4 @ 2 times a week, 52 weeks = $416

Hey, I make money back even though gas went up 50cents a gallon all year long by just changing my addition to Frappacino's.

Voted not a big deal, and am not giving up my 2 Mocha Frappacino's a week. :biggrin:

Understand.
So, in my case, at 12 mpg and 15K/year, gas would have to be $5.00/gal, with a $375/mo car payment with 50 mpg to come close to breakn' even.

Conclusion;
I am not selling or trading my truck ;), and, need a vehicle that gets a minimum of 50 mpg to start thinking about it.
Many people will go out and buy a smaller car based on an "emotional decsion of the gas price", thinking they will be ahead.

Now I can justify the performance parts. ;)
This is the reason behind the spreadheet. :biggrin:

I did the buy a cheap car to drive around in. I bought used 2002 Chevy Prizm (sames as a Corolla).

Everybody has their own factors, I did similar prcess of justifying buying a boring car. I had 20K mile commute which help justify a throw away car.

Just a couple quick notes about the 'new' economy car.

It was rated 30/40mpg (city/highway). When I first got it, it got 22/35mpg. Despite being in mint shape and 50k miles. I had to do a top end cleaner (ping under WOT or require 93 octane) and a tune up. I now get 25/40mpg and average 32-33mpg without bad weather conditions.

The car is kind of loud, lots of road noise and its not uncomfortable, but I have driven more comfortable cars. I would probably buy a small luxury car and sacrafice a few mpg and get a little more performance next time.