Gas Tank Pics - Post them

P2230001.jpg

Got it put back in today. The unseasonably warm weather inspired me to get her finished up and back on the ground today. Need to center the one rubber isolator, but other than that I like the silver:biggrin:

Looks like the original galvanized finish, which is what I'd choose. I believe Eastwood sells a spray on coating that duplicates it, although I have no experience with it.

I did some reading on Eastwood's site, and lots of people posted comments about it scratching very easily, so I'm pretty sure I'll just go with regular silver now.

Needed a new fuel pump so took the gas tank down. It is a Spectra 307C with the dog dish baffles. I had bought it about 10 years ago and it is in pretty good shape. I drove it about 10x in the rain since then and it had very little surface rust on the top of the tank only.DSC01716.jpgDSC01722.jpgDSC01719.jpgDSC01717.jpg

So after a little elbow grease and 4 SOS pads DSC01724.jpg

I decided to have some rust protection so I went with Tank Tone from Eastwood. I must say that it is a primer-type grey and has NO metallic properties in it at all. I really like the stainless look and I will be buying chrome Rustoleum and painting the top of the tank to see how it looks. I also have stainless straps from Kirban coming. DSC01725.jpg
I really love the stock steel look but it really doesn't stay. I was thinking about clear coating it as others have done but I do want some rust protection too.

While we are on the topic of gas tanks I`d figure better to drop alittle intel, there are 2 versions of spectra 307C`s out there. The earlier ones only have the dog dish, Spectra has now released under the same part number and improved tank with a metal baffle system that is VERY close to the original plasic baffle system in a factory GM tank, next time you have your sender out of a spectra tank, have a peek inside.

DSC01883.jpg

After doing much research I decided not to paint it any type of chrome or metallic. Apparently they ALL flake off when touched. So I went and bought a fine wire wheel for my drill and went to work. I only did the backside of the bottom because that it all anyone will see. The drill brush definately took the 100% factory look away (along with any protection too) but left a real nice shine (actually looks better than the OEM). I then coated it with spar varnish (2 coats-will do 4 total). It is looking real nice. Got my stainless straps from Kirban today and hopefully by Wed. I should be up and running. The Eastwood Tank Tone scratches VERY easily BTW:frown:

First 2 shots are of the drill brush only. Second 2 are of the spur varnish.

Attachments

• DSC01765.jpg
    DSC01765.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 216
  • DSC01766.jpg
    DSC01766.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 213
  • DSC01767.jpg
    DSC01767.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 222
  • DSC01768.jpg
    DSC01768.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 216
If you want it to look like it just rolled off the showroom floor (At least the dealer where I bought mine) buy a spraybomb of rubberized under coating, spray it on thick and messy, but be sure to miss a few spots! (They called it the "Coastal Carolina protection package" and they only charged me 750$) :mad:

All done. Fine wire wheel brushed. 4 coats of spur varnish. The top portion is Eastwood's Tank Tone. DSC01774.jpgDSC01775.jpgDSC01777.jpgDSC01778.jpgIt came out better than I could have imagined.

I like black better then silver. I don't think the tank needs attention drawn to it.

my clearcoated tank.

The Gas Tank on SloGN has been clearcoated after i wetsanded it. I only wetsanded it to get some of the overspray from the being painted.